Friday, August 27, 2004

don't panic part ii

So I noticed today, finally, that the reason that there are no longer ads on top of my blog is because Google is now allowing bloggers the option of showing ads. And if you choose to show ads? You get a cut of the profits, because it's part of Google's AdSense for Content program. I noticed the invitation to AdSense had replaced my unused invitation to Gmail in my account sign-on, but I hadn't really paid any attention to it.

Anyway, the point of that is that the top of the blog now has a SiteSearch box so that you can search my previous posts. More hysterically, it has a link to 'Next Blog', which apparently serves up a random blog every time you press it. You should check some of them out--they're quite amazing. A quick run-through on ten random blogs showed that a) the vast majority of people don't spell anything correctly, and seem to go out of their way to not make sense, and b) are even more inane than I am. The fact that there are billions of completely useless webpages out there is a little ridiculous, and shows just how lame people can really be when they are screaming into an abyss. I am definitely including myself in that judgment.

Two things about that latest statement: 1) if you know the person writing the blog, I have found that it typically moves from inane to interesting rather quickly. I read the blogs of people I haven't had an actual conversation with in months, and somehow feel that I am still in touch with them. I'm a little sad that more of my friends don't have blogs--at least with my casual friends/former residents, I feel that if they're reading this, they know so much more about me than I now know about them, and that makes me slightly queasy. But blogging is definitely not for everyone, so whatever. 2) Go see 'Garden State'. I enjoyed it; I saw it with Walter and some of my coworkers last night, and I thought it was good. There was also an abyss scene, which is why I thought of recommending it after my 'screaming into the abyss' statement. It was slightly too indie for my tastes, but there were some truly amusing parts, and it tugged on the heartstrings.

That's all, kids, it's seriously time for bed now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I feel bad for reading people's blogs and doing absolutely nothing about my own since April, despite actually having a slightly-more-interesting-than-previously life and an internet connection. But nothing says inanity quite like reading my own blog posts.

In any case, thanks for keeping up your blog; while I won't insult you by lying and saying it's an inspiration, it's still quite an interesting look into a little corner of your world.

-michael