Friday, August 13, 2004

cat people

Finally--I was able to watch the Olympic opening ceremonies tonight! It was quite pleasant, despite the typical inanities uttered during the athletes' entrances. Commentators always try to come up with something to fill a couple of hours of parading by athletes from little-known countries, so they usually come up with the most tangential relationship between the US and whichever small, one-athlete country is occupying the cameras for thirty seconds. Sad, but amusing.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased to renew my two-week love affair with Bob Costas. And unfortunately, men's gymnastics starts tomorrow--which makes it very tempting to skip my class reunion. I think that I will go in tomorrow for the parade at one, since I should ride the float for my year; however, I suspect that I will skip the later impromptu gathering at the park, since Katie, Hannah and Elaina will not be there and I will almost certainly say all that I have to say on the float to the people who do attend. After all, the Summer Olympics happen every four years, and my class reunion happens every five, but the Olympics are far more exciting, energetic, and inspiring.

Also, it's freaking *cold* in Iowa; we've had near-record-low temperatures the past few days (it's only been in the sixties and seventies all week, and usually it's flirting with a hundred at this point). And my allergies are being as vocal as usual, so sitting outside seems unnecessary. But, my doctor gave me some powerful antibiotics that made my stomach hurt, but will hopefully clear up this cough.

I swear, I'm turning into an old person--discussing one's health and the weather/climate is a sure sign that I'm becoming quite advanced in age. Maybe it's time to start shopping for a cat? At least my cat will sit on my lap blanket and watch TV with me while I call my friends and discuss the most recent developments with my sinuses. Luckily, the cat will ensure that my sinuses will always be a source of discomfort, and so I will have health problems to discuss for years to come.

1 comment:

Can Sar said...

You just absolutely NEED a cat! I beg you to get one. I'll promise to take care of it for a day or something if you go on holidays, if you can find some more people, you'd be set. Think of how amazing it would be. We could pet it and teach it all kinds of tricks, like playing mafia, or throwing water balloons. But seriously, how amazing would it be? You and a cat? Whoa. Incredible.
Sometimes my own ingenuity frightens me.