Thursday, August 19, 2004

'this is truly a race of pain'

Oh. My. God. I love the Olympics. However, it's wreaking havoc on my actual life--I've been sleeping five hours or so a night since getting back to California, because coverage on the West Coast lasts until midnight and I can't stand to miss any of it. Last night, I watched Olympics coverage until midnight, and then went to SFO to pick Walter up, and so didn't go to bed until almost three. Sad times...but great times!

So, the men's gymnastics individual all-around was one of the most exciting contests I've seen in recent memory, and was decided by the smallest margin ever. The women's 4x200m freestyle was also awesome, since they beat the longest-running record in swimming (17 years, set by a steroid-enhanced East German team). Now I'm watching extended coverage of the men's cycling time trial w/Walter, although we saw in primetime that Tyler Hamilton won (yay). But I really should go to bed instead of writing in this silly thing.

However, allow me to say one thing as a word of warning. I do not want anyone IMing me *anything* about the Olympics while I'm at work. I've been engaging in an extreme test of willpower by not checking the news or doing any surfing at all while at work, since even a quick glance at sports headlines can ruin any surprise while watching the tape-delayed primetime coverage. For instance, if I had known in advance that Paul Hamm won, it would have been so much less awesome to watch it.

If you do tell me anything, you will meet the same fate as Adit--he purposefully told me results for both the womens' and mens' team gymnastics, as well as for Michael Phelps last night, and it made it so much less wonderful to watch. So, he's blocked on AIM until the end of the Olympics. I appreciate everyone's understanding in this matter. If you're in northern California and want to watch with me, I'm watching every night from eight to midnight, and you are welcome to join me!

No comments: