Saturday, March 19, 2005

devastated demon deacons

More NCAA basketball tonight; the game between West Virginia and Wake Forest was fantastic, going into double overtime before West Virginia finally came out on top. I didn't see that much of the actual game, because my area of the country was shown the Kentucky/Cincinnati game, but I saw the last five minutes of regulation, as well as both overtimes, which seemed to last for an eternity. I was sort of cheering for West Virginia, since they were the underdogs (and who doesn't cheer for the underdog when there is no clear allegiance to either team?) but I've always loved the name of Wake Forest, and I also love that their team name is the Demon Deacons. I just think that's great; so much better than a Hawkeye (Iowa) or a Golden Gopher (Minnesota) or a freaking tree (...).

I didn't do much of anything today; I was retarded last night and started reading the romance novel I brought home with me, and of course I stayed up until four a.m. to finish it, which means that I didn't get enough sleep last night and now I have nothing to read on the plane. Sadness. However, the romance novel was probably the best romance novel I've ever read, dialogue-wise; it's another Georgette Heyer, called The Grand Sophy, and it's one of those classic ones where the girl comes into a dysfunctional family and saves it from itself by reordering everyones' lives, simultaneously comes into contact with a very headstrong, domineering male with whom she bickers constantly, and ends up marrying said domineering male when they realize they're a perfect match (hmm, I know a girl who's domineering and desires to reorder everyones' lives for the better; I think I know what kind of dude she should be looking for).

I think I'll order a whole bunch of Georgette Heyers to take to India with me, since I can read at least five of them on the plane ride alone, but it's a shame I have nothing to read tomorrow on the flight back. Maybe I have a book left on my already-scavenged bookshelves upstairs that can hold my interest for the trip back to California. I'll be home Sunday night late, and then I'll have a whole week to start to put my affairs into order before spring break ends and my last amazing month of ridiculous fun can begin. Yippee!

Any 'Napoleon Dynamite' fans out there will be pleased to note that my mother used the word 'flippin' tonight, in reference to an uncomfortable article of clothing. I was quite amused. My grandmother, as well as Aunt Becky and her boyfriend, came for dinner tonight; we had a v. traditional midwestern dinner of ham, scalloped potatoes (aka potatoes au gratin), baked beans, asparagus, and five-cup salad (made w/marshmallows, pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut, and I think sour cream? a cup of each of five different things, I can't remember the details...I just know that despite its name, the salad does not contain any lettuce or other vegetables, which is what a midwestern salad is). My grandmother also got someone to bake a small white cake, frosted w/yellow and white flowers to mimic my parents' wedding cake, and my mother dug out the knife and server that they used at the wedding to cut the cake, and also had napkins leftover from the reception that were printed w/their names. Now, does that explain my packrat tendencies or what? To still have enough napkins from your wedding that you could use seven on your 25th anniversary and still have a whole bag stashed away in your cabinet for future use is a clear sign of an obsessive compulsive, and I've inherited it from both sides in spades. Yay.

My aunt showed up this afternoon with a red sticker on her forehead in honor of my move to India, and she and her boyfriend gave me a whole package of red stickers so that I would 'fit in' when I moved there. I only mention this because Aunt Becky said that her boyfriend occasionally checks my blog and would love it if he got a shout-out. So, Brian, here is your name immortalized in print :) I hope you're happy.

No comments: