Thursday, March 31, 2005

i love the history channel!

Claudia and I saw a truly awful sight tonight; we watched the end of an episode of 'The Conquerors' on the history channel, in this case about William the Conqueror, who as we all know conquered Britain in 1066. However, what we *didn't* know is that William the Conqueror fell heavily on his saddle pommel, which caused his intestines to rupture. He experienced internal bleeding, which led to infection, and his intestines started to fill with pus. Apparently, he spent about two weeks in agony as his intestines rotted inside of him, before finally dying in Caen, Normandy, at the age of 60.

All that is well and good, if painful, but it turns out that during the funeral, his body had swollen up from the rotting so much that when the priests tried to fit his body in the sarcophagus, it exploded. The stench was so unbearable that it sent the mourners running for the exits. Isn't the disgusting? Even worse is that the history channel, in true reenactment glory, had little splatters of 'pus' appear on the screen, and then start to run down the screen as they described the stench and the awfulness of what happened. Ew. Claudia and I could barely speak from shock, and we're not normally the squeamish type. Thank you, history channel! I love you!

Anyway, I worked a lot today, which was fantastic. Yesterday, I had a bunch of my coworkers over for a pot luck, which was also great. Plans for the rest of the week include dinner with my team at work tomorrow night, dinner in Sausalito w/my roommates on Friday, a barbecue at the beach on Saturday, dim sum on Sunday, seeing 'Sin City' w/a coworker and Claude on Sunday, and then starting the next week. And my parents are coming next weekend! It's quite the hectic time between now and when I leave for India (around the 25th of April), and I'm making the most of it.

But right now, 'making the most of it' means watching 'The Family Guy'. Yay!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Okay, that is by far and away the most disgusting thing I've ever heard. Shudder vomit ew!

I'm going to see Sin City tonight at midnight! Hurrah!!!

f...... said...

Okay, not to sound selfish, but I implore you to discover as many secrets to preparing authentic Indian food as possible. I would especially appreciate if you figured out how to "throw" paratha dough so it gets nice flaky layers when you griddle it up. mmm! I'm so excited for you and will miss you dearly!