Sunday, November 20, 2005

we need body rockin', not perfection

I just realized why I'm so tired--I only got six hours of sleep last night. The weekend, as you might have guessed, was pretty good. Friday was sort of a downer-way to start the weekend, as I mentioned, since it mostly involved the Harry Potter movie (and by the way, Harry Potter only seems to know one spell--the one that brings things to you--and he uses it all the time. You'd think he could have learned another spell at some point in his four years of schooling) and talking to Claude about life. Saturday was more upbeat, though; Claude and I had dim sum at my favorite place in the world, and then spent several hours at a cafe reading books and drinking tasty cold beverages.

On a tangential note, I'm reading Mark Twain's 'Letters from the Earth'; I got it from my parents for Christmas last year, and I figured that I should read it before I ask for more books this year. The first part was fantastic--the premise of that section is that Satan is writing letters about humanity back to Gabriel and Michael, and he's pointing out all of our logical inconsistencies (which, as you might guess, are numerous). The rest of it is a lot of random stuff from Mark Twain's papers. One of my favorites involved Twain dissecting James Fenimore Cooper's prose; he took passages from 'Deerslayer' and showed how they could be rewritten with 1/3 of the words in a way that would actually improve the story. This microcriticsm seemed so snippy that I couldn't help but love it.

Anyway, after reading for awhile, Claudia and I went to Amber India with Tammy. I can't believe that I was excited about eating Indian food. Unfortunately, none of it was as good as it would be in India (surprise!), and it also cost around $20 each, which I couldn't expense. All in all, it felt like a complete rip-off. But, it was wonderful to be able to share it with Claude and Tammy, despite the fact that their butter chicken does not compare to murgh makhni. Then, we watched 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou', which I adore; by the time I took Tammy back to her dorm, I wasn't able to sleep until around two. Then, I had to get up at eight so that I could take Tammy to the airport. Sigh.

I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I intended today; I got my car washed before coming home, and then Claudia and I went to the beach for a quick, isolationist barbecue. The beach was even more glorious than last weekend--we didn't even need our sweatshirts, which is completely unheard of. We sat on the beach for awhile after eating lunch, reading our books and watching the gorgeous waves. We came home and I had grand intentions to finish unpacking and clean my room, but that didn't happen. I went to Best Buy in hopes of getting a hands-free earpiece for my phone. But, as I arrived, Katie called, and we ended up talking for over an hour. When I finally made it inside, I discovered that they don't carry accessories for my particular phone. I tried the Cingular store next, but it was closed, and so I lost out completely. I would have done stuff tonight, but 'Legally Blonde' was on tv, and that just ruined my ambition for the rest of the evening.

It was great talking to Katie--we hadn't talked on the phone in at least seven months, but it felt just like it always does. I have to make up some stuff about her 'upstanding character' for her application to the state bar, which will be fun--I'm not sure why she picked me as a reference, since I know far too much about her, but I shall endeavor to help her out. It's too bad I can't visit her in New Orleans this year; that had been my dream plan, but since I don't want to get typhoid or whatever they have down there, I think I'll stay in California.

So, that was the weekend. If you're in California, go to the beach as soon as possible and as often as possible until it gets cold again. I promise you won't regret it.

No comments: