Monday, December 12, 2005

how's it gonna be when you don't know me

After Friday's rather depressing thoughts about the likelihood of one's dreams becoming reality, the rest of the weekend was comparatively fantastic. I slept for about eleven hours on Friday night, and awoke Saturday morning to discover that Claudia was experiencing the same dim sum craving that I was. So, we drove up to Millbrae and had a leisurely brunch; while we didn't have the traditional har gar (shrimp dumpling), we did have barbecue pork buns, shimp and pork in bean curd (not the deep-fried kind, the equally-tasty savory kind), rice noodle with shrimp, deep-fried shrimp with mayonnaise, and egg custard buns. Mmmmmm. While I haven't been going to the Hong Kong Flower Lounge every week like we used to, I still absolutely adore it, and it's something that I would definitely miss if I ever moved anywhere else.

After dim sum, I hung around the apartment, showered, and then went out for the evening with Vidya. Earlier in the week, she had asked if I wanted to see a comedy show in SF; I surprised both of us by saying yes, since I usually don't agree to any plans that are remotely acceptable for a mature 24-year-old. But, I decided to give the maturity thing a chance--and I was apparently the only one who felt this way, since no one else accepted Vidya's invitation. We went up early and had dinner in Chinatown; the food was only average (especially after the glorious dim sum earlier in the day), but the waitress was absolutely insane, which more than made up for the food. The comedy show itself was entertaining. Vidya became convinced that I should marry the warm-up comedian; he's only 5'7", which is shorter than I usually go for, but he was absolutely hilarious. He was also straight, which is a definite advantage, unlike the headliner. The main comedian was v. funny, and it was clear that he's a professional comedian--his sense of timing was perfect, and his act was much more polished than the openers. Anyway, Vidya and I had a great time, and I was glad that I'd made plans rather than just hanging out in my apartment.

Today, I had brunch with Tammy, Shedletsky, and Claudia; we went to Hobees, and were most unfortunately seated near the children's play area. This didn't bother us at all, but I'm sure there were some parents who would have preferred if their kids couldn't overhear our conversation. After brunch, I put together this closet organizer thingie (to help enforce order on my sixty-pair shoe collection), and then got coffee with Claude. I was a good daughter and talked to my parents while drinking my cappuccino; then, I was a good roommate and baked chocholate chip chewies. They are so freaking addicting, and v. easy to make--they allow for indulgence in both sloth and gluttony, which makes them about as sinful as a cookie can be.

I spent the rest of the evening organizing the dozens of bangles that I got in India, cleaning my bathroom, and watching part of 'The Two Towers'. Tammy--I can't help it that we watched part of 'The Two Towers'; it happened to be on TBS, and Terry left it there after flipping through the channels several times. I do feel that it's slightly socially unacceptable that I know so many of the scenes from a 'Lord of the Rings' movie almost by heart, but I can't help it. At least it hasn't reached the point where I play live-action roleplaying games or Magic: The Gathering. With any luck, I can avoid that dire fate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

martian flatcats ahoy!