Wednesday, December 07, 2005

it's the time to disco

I have this Indian song, 'It's the Time to Disco', stuck in my head with no hope of reprieve. Vidya classified this song as a 'jhoke' when I told her that it was stuck in my head, but I can't help it. It has the strangest combination of musical devices--the main melodic hook is heartwrenching, but the English half of the lyrics make no sense, and I would imagine that the Hindi lyrics are equally laughable.

Anyway, nothing exciting happened at work; after work, I made a list of groceries and procured a bunch of stuff at the grocery store. For dinner, I made pizza bread--it turned out v. tasty, which is good, since I made up several packets of toppings to freeze for future use. Now, the freezer has a whole bunch of sandwich bags filled with green peppers, onions, and black olives (for quesadillas), and a similar bunch of sandwich bags filled with red peppers, green peppers, and mushrooms (for pizza bread). Clearly they are virtually interchangeable, but I like to create subtle but rigid boundaries in my tastes and desires, so this fits my personality quite nicely.

After eating supper, I made up a pan of lasagna for tomorrow night (which reminds me of when my aunt used to say 'pan of lasagna' instead of 'do svedanya' [meaning goodbye] when we lived in Ukraine). This necessitated a quick phonecall to my grandmother, who makes the best lasagna in the world. Unfortunately, like all 'best in the world' recipes, she's never bothered to write it down, and so it involved a lot of guesswork on my part to make sure that it came out right. Anytime someone says 'put in 1/4 to 1/2 cup' of an ingredient and then says that you'll know when it's right clearly has spent way too many years making something. Also, I won't necessarily know when it's right, since I've only seen a yearly pan of fully-cooked Christmas lasagna, and not the uncooked intermediate steps. But, despite my concern, it *did* look right in the pan when I finished. Now it's sitting in the fridge, and I'll just have to pop it in the oven tomorrow, make garlic bread and a quick salad, and dinner will be ready. Yay. If it's truly terrible, I'll make pizza bread and quesadillas instead :)

It may be the time to disco, but it's also the time to sleep if I have any hopes of getting anything done tomorrow. It will also soon be the time to finish my Christmas shopping, and it is way past the time to clean my room. Luckily I have some incentive, since I have former roommates and expats from India arriving over the next few months and I'd like to have them over for dinner. When they do show up for dinner, I would be embarrassed to have them discover that I live in squalor--it's bad enough that I don't have marble floors, servants, and rats. But, we shall save the cleaning for another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can one up you. I called Gram the other night needing to know about the senior housing project of the late 1970s, and she called me the next day after she did all the required research and had written down all important trivia. My paper turned out pretty good, and I never did that portion of the work. Eat that!