Monday, January 09, 2006

i'm in the mood for you...or for running away

I had a pretty good weekend, although I didn't accomplish nearly enough. Friday night, I had dinner with Lauren and Josh, my India expat friends; I'd seen Lauren in the office in December, but I hadn't seen Josh since I left India in October. We went to Fiesta del Mar, so I got to reconnect with them over delicious enchiladas suizas. It was great to see both of them, and to remind myself that friendships don't necessarily have to end when the circumstances around them change. I probably should have gone to the city instead, since Chris was in town and I would have loved to have seen him, but I was feeling lazy and didn't really want to drive up. Sadness. Since I was rather tired, I ended up going to bed shortly after returning from dinner, so it's probably a good thing that I didn't go to SF, or else I might have taken an unintentional (and potentially fatal) nap on the 280.

On Saturday, Tammy, Claudia and I had dim sum, which was as fantastic as it always is. I sat around for most of the afternoon and rubbed my overly-full tummy. Claudius made eggplant parmesan (or rather, eggplant mozzarella, in an attempt to get rid of the huge block of cheese I bought when making lasagna), which was quite tasty. We lazed about during the evening, watching a History Channel documentary about the apocalypse, followed by four hours of 'Law and Order'. My couches really are much too comfortable--they keep me from getting anything done, since it's infinitely preferable to hang out on them and do nothing than it is to motivate myself to complete the tasks on my list.

Today, Zach and I caught the 11:50am matinee of 'Casanova'. I wasn't expecting anything great, although I was hopeful about the prospects of seeing Heath Ledger in a deliciously frothy role; unfortunately, even my low expectations weren't really met. The movie was vaguely amusing, and it wasn't a complete waste of time, but it definitely isn't worth seeing again. I still love Heath Ledger, though. I had a good time with Zach, though, since we continued our tradition of seeing awful movies during early matinees. January and February are prime months for watching crappy movies, so I'm looking forward to the coming weeks.

After the movie, I had a v. late lunch at Quiznos, then went to the mall and bought the odd combination of sunglasses and pajamas. Claudia and I went to a tapas place in Menlo Park for dinner--she introduced me to the unexpected delight of bacon-wrapped dates, which turned out to be amazing. They apparently stuff the dates with chorizo (a spicy sausage), then wrap them in bacon and bake them or fry them, I believe--whatever they do to the them, the dates end of mostly caramelized and extremely flavorful. It made the rest of the meal seem positively boring by comparison. But, the restaurant was intriguing--the decor was classic Spanish, and their wine 'cellar' was on the second floor and visible through panes of glass overlooking the bar, which was an interesting use of space. After tapas, we came home and watched the last half or so of 'Return of the King'--this was in honor of Tammy's departure from our apartment, since we held off watching 'Return of the King' for the entire duration of her visit. That is quite the feat for us, especially since I'd never seen the extended version of the second half of the movie, and Claudia came back from break with a tantalizing review of the deleted scenes. Now, it's probably time for bed, especially since I have to go to work relatively early tomorrow. We switched office building over the weekend, so when I get there tomorrow, I'll have to find my desk, and nothing will be set up in advance. But, in the new building I have an office (even if I am sharing it with another girl), so I'm pretty psyched about that. I mean, having an office is not worth the knowledge that I've sold out to corporate America, but it does soften the blow somewhat.

No comments: