Wednesday, February 01, 2006

money talks...i want to buy you

It's been a rather brutal week, and I am now officially homeless. I'm sorry that I didn't blog over the weekend, but we disconnected the internet on Saturday, which was a bit like chopping off my own hand, but I somehow survived it.

The weekend was v. up-and-down. Friday was uneventful, but I did some desultory packing. Saturday, I packed/organized all day and we got the carpets cleaned; then, Saturday night, Tammy, Claudia and I met Shedletsky and Joanna in the city for opening night of 'Swan Lake'. I'd never been to a ballet before, and I really enjoyed it, although I was in danger of dozing off during one of the pastoral interludes. The orchestra made some major errors involving the horn section, which was unfortunate, but the lead dancers were amazing--even with my lack of knowledge, I could recognize that their performances were outstanding. I'm really happy that Tammy organized this endeavor, and I wish I was going to be here to partake of more cultural outings in the future.

So the ballet was an up, but then it took almost an hour to get out of the city, which was a down. Then we stopped at Peter's Cafe in Millbrae (across from the Hong Kong Flower Lounge), where I had steak and eggs, which was a definite up again. But Shedletsky didn't show, so that was kind of a down. In retaliation, the three of us decided to go to dim sum without him on Sunday (actually, it was out of a need to feed our raging addiction to shrimp families)--which started out as an up, 'til we realized that it was Chinese New Year and it took forever to get seated and for our food to arrive. But, it was all tasty, and even though the waiter spilled some of my Diet Coke on me when he brought it, the overall experience was an up.

Now, though, after packing about fifty-five boxes of stuff and cleaning the whole apartment, I just wish that I could be settled someplace, but I can't. Tonight I'm staying with Terry, where I will probably remain for the rest of the week, except for tomorrow night when I'm in Tahoe for a ski trip. After six days of sleeping on the floor, I'm quite excited about her pull-out sofa, and even more excited about the hotel bed tomorrow.

Also, I am probably the only homeless person who decided to celebrate their newly-homeless status by buying a Gameboy--Terry and I vacated the apartment and had dinner at Baja Fresh tonight, which left me just enough time to run to Fry's and get a Nintendo DS and an old-school copy of Super Mario 3. I'm going to get more games once I research what I want (Mario Kart, perhaps Castlevania, or maybe that cool 'Operation'-like game where you use the touchscreen on the Nintendo to pretend to sew up wounds). If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

I'm feeling all angsty about my homeless status, but other than that, life is good. I shall blog again when I'm back from the ski trip and a little more well-rested.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm so sorry that you're homeless!! Are they any closer to telling you? Could you stay in a hotel on their dime until you go? The Glass Slipper Inn is pretty reasonable and looks EXACTLY like the motel in Psycho!!