Wednesday, March 08, 2006

but she'll bring out the best and the worst you can be

I'm so tired! For maximum effect, please imagine that I said that in the same tone used by Mugatu in 'Zoolander', right after he throws a hot beverage in his assistant's face and screams, 'Are you not aware that I get farty and bloated with a foamy latte?!'

Ah, Zoolander. Those were the days. Days when all of my time was consumed by a) watching Zoolander, b) planning random dorm activities like 'foods that come in a tube', and c) spending five hours a day in the Loro dining hall. Now, my life is a sad and dull reflection of its former self. Perhaps I am just feeling angsty because I have so many early-morning conference calls; they've gotten incrementally worse every morning this week, to the point that I now have a call at seven a.m. tomorrow. Brutal! So, even though it's only 9:30pm, I think I'm going to go to bed now--I could really use eight or eight-and-a-half hours of deep, deep relaxation.

As for the recap of today--I spent a lot of time in the office, but it was mitigated by lunch with Claudia. I love being able to feed her without expending any effort myself; the most I had to do was sign her in and walk with her to the main cafeteria. That's hospitality at its finest, let me tell ya. Since I hadn't seen her since Sunday, there wasn't really a lot to catch up on, but it felt like it had been awhile, so lunch was fun. Then, I had dinner with John in Palo Alto; we inadvertently recreated one of the dates that we filmed way back in the day when we were trying to be television producers, since we had dinner at Krung Siam and dessert at an ice cream place that took over from the previous ice cream place that had stood in that location. It was great to see him, and I'm glad that I'm being mostly successful in my attempts to reconnect with friends before I leave again.

Of course, hanging out in the places where we filmed the dating show was a little melancholy-inducing, since that part of my life is definitely behind me. I am highly unlikely to ever produce a tv show again (although presumably if I do try again, it will be orders of magnitude more successful), nor do I have the time or the energy to stay up until four a.m. every night like I did in college, reading, hanging out, laughing, and generally enjoying life. I still enjoy life, and I still read/hang out/laugh, but it all happens much earlier in the day. The fact that almost all of my days end by midnight now, and begin by eight or nine a.m., feels so impossibly grown up, and life just doesn't seem like it's as much fun when it all happens in the daytime. When I'm travelling, it's different--you want daylight to illuminate your new worlds. At home, though, night is best, since it ensures that all of the 'normal' people go to bed and leave room for the crazy portion of the population to have more intense fun. Now I've become one of the 'normal' people (at least, normal for me), and it makes me sad.

In other news, I forgot to pee after having sex the other night, and now I have a kidney infection. Actually, that's a complete and utter lie. But, my brother mentioned this in reference to the blog of someone he knows, and then said that he would never ever want to read that on my blog. I thought I would oblige him by throwing it into my post :) And on that note, it's time for bed!

No comments: