Saturday, March 18, 2006

once upon an irish time

Vidya is about to fall asleep on my couch. This is v. exciting, since she rarely falls asleep on my couch; in fact, this is the first time that this has happened, as far as I can remember. Also, it is exciting that Claudia is going to sleep in my bed; this is the consequence of throwing a St. Patrick's Day party in which two of the major participants are encouraged to sleep over rather than driving home.

If you didn't come to my place tonight, you really missed out. It may not be apparent from my diligent attempts at proofreading and correcting (aka 'guess and check typing'), but I had at least five Irish Car Bombs, as well as some Smirnoff Ices, and pizza and chips (not alcoholic, but also not typical items on my daily menu since I'm trying to eat better, so almost as intoxicating as Irish whiskey).

Did you know that whisky is spelled 'whiskey' in Ireland and 'whisky' in Scotland? I do! and now you do too. How do you think that happened? Which Scotsman, after stumbling home from a night at the pub, decided to excise the 'e' from whiskey's existence? Or, what Irishman decided to add an 'e' as a sign of independence and spelling superiority? The world may never know, but I was quite intrigued by this fact.

Anyway, the party was a smashing success. It was actually like two or three parties in one; the first 'party' mostly consisted of Terry watching the NCAA tournament while Claudia, Vidya and I alternately ate pizza and got ready for the party. Party Two consisted mostly of my co-workers, who showed up at the advertised time and seemed to enjoy themselves. Party Three consisted of my former residents, who showed up after drinking for several hours, and who proceeded to scare everyone else away before hanging out for quite a long time. I'm thrilled that so many people came, and I'm trying to be positive about what I have rather than melancholy about what I'm leaving behind.

Now, it's time to go to bed. Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

No comments: