Saturday, March 04, 2006

there will be time to murder and create

I stayed home sick today, nursing a cold that does not compare to the miserable fever-and-cough that I had last summer in India. However, while I may be several steps farther removed from death than I was in August, I am still rather unhappy; the combination of DayQuil and tea helps my cold but destroys my sleep patterns, leading me to question whether my headache is the result of sinus congestion or the fact that I slept so fitfully last night. Anyway, I spent the day napping, reading, and watching movies. I watched both 'The Wedding Crashers' and 'Anchorman', since I was in the mood for comedy. I still think that 'Anchorman' is, on the whole, unwatchable, but there are several key scenes that go a long way towards making it an okay film. I was slightly disappointed with 'The Wedding Crashers'. I missed it when it came out last summer, and I finally got around to watching it on DVD tonight. I thought that the plot, especially in the latter third, meandered too much, and I wished that Owen Wilson had displayed more of his natural comedic brilliance. While I'm sure I will watch it again, I don't think that it has any classic lines that will replay endlessly in my consciousness, unlike 'Zoolander' or 'Dodgeball'.

Four weeks from tomorrow, I will be flying to Dublin! Since my brother's coming out the weekend before that to participate in the Great Wampler Roadtrip (an exciting name for what promises to be a v. boring 1800-mile drive across the dreary end-of-winter American West), I only have three weeks left in California. It's so strange that I'm saying that again; when I got back from India, I didn't think that I would be leaving the Bay Area again so soon. But, going to Ireland is an amazing opportunity, and while I will miss my friends here tremendously, I think that I have explored California (at least, the Bay Area) as much as I will ever care to.

I'm super tired, and I should at least try to sleep--wish me luck! I shall post again soon, my friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

are jou well enough to do oscar tea party?

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better. However if you are not you could always try mom's cure all for the cough and sore throat. If it doesnt cure you it sure will make you feel good after a couple of doses. Love ya and see you soon

Anonymous said...

When you and your brother are driving home cross the American west if you dine at fancy restaurant with a waiting list give your name as "Donner". "Donner party of two, your table is ready."

Not Applicable said...

without me, it's only aweso.