Thursday, March 02, 2006

they pass right through you like a ghost

Alas, I think that I am getting sick. I can probably blame most of my friends for this, since almost everyone I've hung out with in the past week has had varying degrees of illness. My throat has that weird, scratchy feeling that always precedes plague-like misery, and my nose is unexpectedly runny. To combat illness, I made myself some soup; but, since I didn't have a recipe for chicken noodle soup, I made vegetarian chili instead. The chili was very tasty, but the downside was that I added several hot peppers--and now the pepper residue is clinging to my left hand and I can't fully remove it no matter how hard I scrub. The area around my left thumb's cuticle is actually slightly burned and very sensitive; I didn't realize that the pain was caused by the peppers until I licked the sore area on my thumb (gross, I know) and set my tongue on fire. Luckily the pain and burning are subsiding, and hopefully they'll vanish altogether before my concern is demanded by my impending illness.

While my soup was simmering, I watched part of 'The Royal Tenenbaums', and I finished the movie rather than working. I don't know why I love that movie so much; it really has nothing to do with my life, since my family was rather functional, but I think that the whole movie is rather depressingly hysterical. 'Depressingly hysterical' seemed to be the right mood for the evening, so I'm glad that I watched it again. Then I did a few last-minute things for work that had to be done before tomorrow, and now I'm going to bed. I have a conference call at 7am that I hope I can wake up for, and too much stuff to do at the office, so we'll see whether and how I make it through the day. Yay.

No comments: