Wednesday, May 03, 2006

'cause i'm cursed with second sight

Observation number 1: David Blaine's newest stunt is idiotic. However, coverage of it is even more idiotic. My favorite quote from this article comes from the end, like almost all ridiculous newspaper quotes: "Richard Washington, 29, a law clerk from Brooklyn, said, "I wouldn't do it, but I feel like somebody's got to do it, and nobody else is doing something this wild."" Mr. Washington, I don't think it's reasonable to say 'somebody's got to do it'. It would be reasonable to say that somebody's got to haul off the garbage, or slaughter livestock (unless you're a vegetarian, in which case somebody's got to teach you a lesson about tastiness), or clean out sewer lagoons, thus implying a distasteful or dangerous job that assists the greater good. By contrast, David Blaine spending a week in a stupid sphere full of water, encouraging his own flesh to fall off, has no bearing on my life and does not assist the greater good. Idiot!

Observation number 2: I think that there's something seriously wrong with my psyche; last night, I slept for ten hours in a deeply-needed bit of relaxation after finally getting my visa issues sorted out. However, I do remember dreaming that I was trapped in some sort of hellish maze with Aragorn (from 'The Lord of the Rings'--and I really mean Viggo Mortensen, I guess, but only in his Aragorn get-up), and the only way out was for us to eat some pumpkins. I never think about pumpkins, and I have no idea why they showed up in a maze, but Aragorn was nice enough to eat the rotten ones for me. I told this to Kim, my colleague in California, and she looked up the meaning of pumpkin dreams online: "To see a pumpkin in your dream, implies openness and your receptiveness to new ideas and experiences. A pumpkin is also symbolic of the female sexuality. Alternatively, it may relate to the popular fairy tale of Cinderella where a carriage turns back into a pumpkin. In this regard, it may represent some situation in which time is running out." I have no idea how this relates to my daily life, but I'm sure Tammy will be pleased to know that I had such a creepy dream about Aragorn--she's been ridiculing me about my fascination with 'Lord of the Rings' for ages. I'm such a dork.

Observation 3: It's so much more tempting to plan trips and things when you know that you won't be arrested if you get caught without proper documentation. I haven't made any international flight plans yet, but I just booked a bus ticket to Galway for the weekend, two nights in a hotel there, and a ferry to and from the Aran Islands on Saturday. Here's hoping a) I don't get seasick and b) it doesn't rain the entire day; a bit of rain would probably be fine, but a lot of rain would be misery-inducing and would just make me wish that I were submerged in a bowl of water with David Blaine. Okay, that was a joke. I'm excited to get out of Dublin for a couple of days, and I'm even more excited to spend a day away from cities in general--I'm going a little crazy with all the people around all the time, and no ability to drive myself up into the hills and blast some music with the windows down and the sunroof open. I think that spending a day exploring neolithic ruins on a desolate island is the perfect prescription for my city-induced angst. Now, though, it's bedtime!

4 comments:

Emily said...

a) you're going to have an awesome time in Galway - there are GREAT bars and clubs and those irish boys love making out with American girls. Irish boys are easy. :)

b) My friend Clark and I totally walked past David Blaine in his water bubble in Lincoln Center. He was lying down (not chained to the plexiglass walls as promised in the poster) and apparently his skin was starting to fall off, which is gross gross gross. It was such a let-down. I wish I had gone to Coney Island to see the Sideshow instead. Bearded ladies are awesome.

~Wamp said...

Would everyone feel better if Tom Cruise were in the bubble instead??

Not Applicable said...

david blaine is going to get the pruniest fingertips. ok, now that you've witnessed aragorn eating rotten pumpkins, you can't tell me you still think he's hot? i just see a nasty crack-rat with untrimmed whiskers scouring the ghettos for rotten food. i'm not even going to get into the whole "he was willing to eat rotten pumpkins for me and pumpkins represent female organs" thing because that's too nasty. -tz

Anonymous said...

Lovely Wasabi Green Ugs arrived in rural Iowa today--and they fit! Thanks!