Thursday, May 25, 2006

scotland forever

To continue the recent travelling frenzy that I have embarked upon, I am flying to Edinburgh this weekend. I'm leaving here tomorrow evening, and I'll be back in Dublin around midnight on Sunday. I am so excited about this trip; since I went to Belfast and Kerry with other people, I'm looking forward to a couple of days on my own. I've had some alone time in the past few weeks, but it hardly counts--being in the office at ten p.m., with only the security guards for company, doesn't really rejuvenate the soul. I read up a bit on Edinburgh while I was eating dinner tonight, and there are tons of things that I want to see, so hopefully I'll take sufficient advantage of my surroundings. Walter's given me a bit of advice, but his is more along the lines of 'hike to Arthur's Seat', 'eat some haggis', and 'don't take a picture of the dog statue.' Since I'm more interested in museums than hiking, and since I love taken ridiculous pictures, I don't know how well I'll follow his advice, but if I have the stomach for it (haha), I might try the haggis. If I don't come back, you'll know that the haggis killed me.

Other than that, I've nothing to report. I think I'm going to take next weekend off from travelling, because I leave the following Monday for the European sales conference in Berlin. If y'all thought that I drank too much at the SF sales conferences in years past, you ain't seen nothin' yet--the European offices are waaaay more alcohol-fueled than the California office, and so putting them all in a hotel together in a fantastic European city with the attendant fantastic German bars and biergartens is a recipe for complete and utter madness. I can't wait!

Now, though, I'm going to sign off and get ready for bed--I could use ten or eleven hours of sleep tonight, so that I can store up in an effort to wake up earlier and see more things over the weekend. Wish me luck in Scotland--I can only hope that I'll see Sean Connery like Walter did, but I'm not holding my breath.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend having Adrian show you around Edinburgh by bike: http://www.edinburghcycletour.com/

The biking is super easy. A quote from the actual website:

Is the cycling hard?

No - the cycling is easy - a little energetic but non-strenuous - no fitness is required!

Suitable for ages from 10+. There has even been septuagenarians on tour!

The tour covers the city in 3 hours with stops every few minutes for Adrian to provide commentary.

A safe route has been carefully chosen to maximise on sights yet minimise on effort.

All cycling equipment is provided including the super comfortable & easy riding Trek Bicycles.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD DID WALTER REALLY SEE SEAN CONNERY I LOVE HIM

Anonymous said...

Uncle says, I took your aunt to Edinburgh. We walked the royal mile. Had a burger at Wimpy. Order a Scotch in Scotland and you will get a Scotch Federated Ale. To get what civilzed people call a Scotch you have to order a whiskey. Some pubs offer some very fine single malts. We dined at a Chinese Restaurant named Loon Moon which advertised Coca-Cola; it came in bottles much like the 7 oz. bottles highly favored in some quarters. Nightly special at the Loon Moon that night was Polish Sausage. Milk was still delivered door to door by horse drawn wagons. For remoteness check out Isle of Skye or for the real deal head for the Faroe Islands; makes Aran Isles seem totally cosmopolitan. Skye is home to the Pringle Woolen Mill. Your Williams ancestors came from Scotland; they settled in Highland County, Virginia when they crossed the pond. Have a good trip and read How the Scots Invented the Modern World.

Emily said...

Have such a good time! I heart Edinburgh best :)

Not Applicable said...

have f-u-n in scotland baby

Anonymous said...

Uncle says, when your aunt and I visited Edinburgh we brought our sweet little niece a kilt. We did not have a nephew in those days. Should have had you buy a kilt for your little brother just to keep things even. Awesome legs for a kilt!