Friday, June 16, 2006

goooooooooooooaaaaaaaalllll!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear the Mexican soccer fans shouting 'gooooooooaaaaaaallllllllll!!!!!!!!' during the Mexican/Angolan match, because the match ended 0-0 after 90 boring minutes. The most amusing part came after the match, when the Irish commentators actually broke down laughing at the performance of the Angolan keeper--the keeper made a few great saves, but there were a couple when he just looked confused, and the commentators actually had to stop talking for a minute and wipe the tears of laughter away before they could continue. They ended up stopping the entire analysis of the game and showing the highlights from the Argentina/Serbia game instead, since they could no longer talk without smirking. It was fantastic! Of course, I still have to live with the shame that I was feeling so antisocial that I didn't go over to Aldo's to watch it with him and other people; instead, I watched it in my pajamas with my roommate. Oh, well. Since I have to go to work at 10am tomorrow (and yes, it's a Saturday in Ireland just like it is in the US), I don't particularly feel like celebrating anything at all right now. I do feel like watching silly commercials--European commercials are a cut above the rest. My favorite commercial right now is a McDonald's commercial; it shows an empty stadium seat in black-and-white with a forlorn looking Ireland scarf draped over the back, and then a dramatic voiceover saying 'We didn't qualify for the World Cup. Togo did. And England is favored to win. Kind of leaves you feeling empty inside?' Then, we discover that McDonald's has come out with a bigger Big Mac, for a limited time only, to fill the void. Awesome!

Clearly if I've reached the point where I'm recounting World Cup commercials, I've hit a new low. Or perhaps it's a new high--remember the euphoria I felt over the Volkswagen 'fast' commercials? Now *those* were some great commercials! And now that I have the memory of 'sometimes my fast doesn't get along with my girlfriend' to warm my up inside, it's time for bed!

No comments: