Monday, June 12, 2006

she moves in mysterious ways

So, yesterday, I worked for another five hours, came home and read a book for awhile, took a shower, and went out to dinner with Christine (visiting from California), Sonam, and Tina. Dinner was fantastic, especially since I had a deliciously-rare ribeye steak, and also because the conversation was entertaining. It's unfortunate that Sunday dinner was really the only people-related relaxing that I did all weekend, but c'est la vie. The fun continued today, although I did take a short break for the past hour or so to finish the stupid book that I started this weekend. I wish that I would have called my parents instead, since the book was just awful; it's called 'The Eight', and it is clearly being marketed to take advantage of the success of 'The Da Vinci Code'. It's all about some mystical chess set called the Montglane Service, which was given to Charlemagne by some mysterious Moors, and contains the secrets of the ages, etc., etc. The book deserves to capitalise on 'The Da Vinci Code', since it suffers from writing that is even more atrocious than Dan Brown's novel, which I had thought was impossible. The foreshadowing was ham-handed, the author thought that similes would make up for narrative, and the plot was just a mishmash of every half-baked conspiracy theory involving Freemasons, secret societies, and the ancient mysteries of the Phoenicians. Ugh. It's so bad; please never read it. In fact, it's so bad that I might actually leave it here, a fate destined to be shared with 'Jaywalking with the Irish', and a fate that is highly uncommon with my books, since I tend to keep everything I read.

Anyway, the longer I think about the book, the less I can sleep, and the less I can sleep, the more unhappy I will be tomorrow. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uncle says: search company name and Ireland in news mode to find the AP article the Des Moines Register ran abuot high tech in the Docklands. The copy I just read on line was from Louisville News-Courier and had an additional pic.