Thursday, August 17, 2006

when you find me there you'll search no more

I can suddenly barely keep my eyes open, which is unfortunate since I have all this stuff that I want to do for work and don't have time to take care of. Alas. Anyway, today was good; I managed to sleep well last night, and then spent a whole day at the office thinking (painful!). I left around 7pm and brought Jogi back to my hotel for dinner, which was v. nice. We were later joined by Salim and Heather (and Darragh, after Jogi left), and so I had a great, relaxed, entertaining few hours in the hotel restaurant. Now, I should really go to bed--I have to be on my way to the airport in 24 hours!

It's strange the directions that life takes you; when I was growing up, I never dreamed that I would live in India (except when I was reading 'The Secret Garden' and wanted to have an ayah/nanny and parents who died of typhoid or some other crazy disease), let alone live in India long enough that I would feel jaded when I returned. While other people went shopping tonight, I had no desire to go--my house is already full of as many Indian textiles and mementos as I can keep, and my drawers are going to overflow if I don't get control of my spending habits. I've also fully (almost, rather) quelled my 'I'm gonna die' adrenaline reaction to riding in cars with the drivers here, which I think is a big accomplishment. However, I am going to die if I don't get some sleep--goodnight everyone!

2 comments:

Emily said...

i saw snakes on a plane tonight - you HAVE to see it.

Anonymous said...

Slater says, We saw Talladega Nights - you don't have to see it.

Email plays heck with stamp collecting. Uncle Virgil in Merchant Marine sent home letters from all over the world. Joanie K. D. sent letters from her cruise around Africa and Persian Gulf in 50's or 60's. Lots of neat stamps. Email is just blipblipblipblip.