Wednesday, October 18, 2006

i don't want to call my friends, they might wake me from this dream

It's time for me to go to bed. I've been feeling strangely driven at work recently, moreso than I have for awhile, which means that I'm quite content to work like mad--although today I didn't get into the office until around noon because I had to work from home while waiting for the Comcast guy to hook up my cable (and then work from home while watching a little Montel Williams to 'make sure the cable was hooked up properly'. ha!). I got home around 7ish and intended to make delicious fried potatoes and eggs (over easy, of course)--but the potatoes in my cabinet were starting to feel squishy, so I threw them out and ran to the store, where I discovered that the lines on every register were stretched back into the aisles. Annoying! Since it takes less than two minutes to walk to the grocery store from my apartment, I promptly turned around, came home, and made half a peanut butter sandwich to tide me over until the lines cleared. Then I got engrossed in the stuff I was doing around the house, so I ended up eating eggs sans potatoes later. This was all quite disappointing, especially since my father had regaled me earlier with stories of all the ribeye steaks that he and my mother had eaten in the past week and intend to eat (since my mother bought a whole ribeye, which they then cut into steaks and froze--that's 18lbs of steak, for those of you who keep track of such things). Peanut butter, even delicious crunchy peanut butter, just didn't cut it after hearing about all that awesomeness.

It's now almost one-thirty, and I got quite a bit done while watching 'Criminal Minds', 'The Daily Show', 'The Colbert Report', a 'Scrubs' rerun, Letterman, and some Craig Ferguson. I'm so happy to have a TV--even though I recognize that there's nothing on that I really care about watching, I'm somehow more productive when the TV is on. I think that it triggers my Pavlovian response mechanism--TV carried me through many a long night in Hyderabad, when I would sit in my ultra-hard bed with my freezing, rattling, leaking air-conditioner, watching Bollywood music videos in the background while churning out all the random things I had to do back then. 'The Daily Show' is definitely an upgrade from the Bollywood videos, let me tell ya, but not as big an upgrade as my comfortable couch is over any seating/relaxing surface I found in Hyderabad.

Okay, no more...tomorrow will be busy enough without being destroyed by my exhaustion. Jenni and perhaps some other expats are coming over to watch 'Lost', I may be having dinner with Terry, and I have to read the stuff for my short story class on Thursday. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how come every post is about you having a ball with your tv / new cable connection? do you really want to hurt me?