Tuesday, October 10, 2006

it's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right

Old friends are the best friends. I had an uneventful day at work, followed by a rather impromptu dinner with some of the oldest of the old gang--Adit had sent out an email last night asking if anyone wanted to have dinner tonight, and eight of us ended up at Amici's East Coast Pizzeria in MV [for those of you who care, that meant Adit, Zach, Maggie (on loan from Iowa), Claude, Sri, Oniel, Sri's friend Joanne, and myself]. Fun was had by all; Zach and Maggie left early so that Zach could prepare for his thesis defense on Friday, but the rest of us stuck around and messed around until ten p.m. It's funny that I find that particular group so relaxing--I really shouldn't, since they're completely obnoxious. But, I'm completely obnoxious too, so it all works out.

I was telling Vidya on Sunday that the first three years of my college experience feel like a hazy dream, and that only my senior year feels 'real'. I've discussed this before on this very blog, I believe, so I shall be brief. But, those first three years, regardless of how little I think about them now, and how much my life has changed since then, and how much I've grown up, were really formative and vital to who I've become, and sometimes it's nice to be reminded of those times by the people I survived with. It's been seven years since I first met Adit, Zach, Oniel, and Claude--that's 28% of my life, and probably a third of my conscious, thinking life. Crazy, huh? When I met them, there wasn't a single one of them that I thought I would even become friends with, let alone still be friends with nearly a decade, and probably a lifetime, later. Instead, it turns out that they're perfect for me.

Okay, that was nauseatingly sentimental of me, so I'm going to go to bed before I get even sappier. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've gotten bored of this post

Anonymous said...

Same old story. Same old song and dance.