Thursday, November 23, 2006

it's raining in baltimore, fifteen miles east

Happy Thanksgiving!! I celebrated mine in true Midwestern style; we had dinner at 2pm (supposed to be one p.m., but slightly delayed due to a turkey that refused to finish cooking), and so I stuffed myself with turkey, stuffing, mashed pototoes, gravy, corn casserole, green bean casserole, homemade rolls (with homemade plum jam!), and pumpkin pie. Mmmmm. It was exactly what I would have made if I had been in California, but my mother made it instead, which is what I give thanks for on this Thanksgiving :) Also, I wouldn't have made my piecrust from scratch--my mother did, and she had one left over when she was making them yesterday, so we enjoyed a chocolate meringue pie yesterday that has to be one of the best pies in the history of the world. I'm going to have to experiment with pie-making, if only because my mother hates cherry pie, and that's one of my favorites.

The only attendees of this Thanksgiving batch were my sister and her family, my grandmother, my brother, my parents, and me. We were pretty crowded around our dining table, as we have been for the past couple of decades, so I can't wait until the new house is finished. I've gone out to look at it a couple of times since coming home, but it's hard because I just want it to be finished--mostly for my parents' sake, so that they can start thinking about something other than cabinets and light fixtures and paint schemes. Luckily for me, I get to go back to California tomorrow and leave it behind until Christmas--it won't be done then either, but they should be moved in by spring.

Now I should go to bed; I have to wake up tomorrow and finish packing so that I can go to the airport and catch a flight back to San Francisco. Goodnight!

No comments: