Monday, January 29, 2007

forever today

This weekend can be completely written-off in terms of excitement; however, it was v. relaxing, which is just what the doctor ordered. My only real regret is that I forgot to buy yeast last night, and so didn't get to try my slow-rise bread recipe; if I had started it today, it would have been ready to bake sometime when I'm at work tomorrow, which seemed less than ideal. Oh, well, c'est la vie. Instead, I got up around and spent most of the afternoon in my pajamas on the couch, spaced out while watching the Food Network. I've decided that I can't stand Michael Chiarello, although I did love that one of his dinner guests was wearing a kilt--he was cooking with Guinness and so invited some guys who could sing traditional Irish songs. I also despise Emeril; I can't understand why him saying the word 'garlic' merits enthusiastic applause from the audience, nor do I understand why he needs a live band. I do, however, love the Barefoot Contessa, even if my mouth was watering the entire time that she was making beef bourguignon--she was using whole filets of beef, and it looked rare and amazing. I will have to try making it sometime, but I'm unfortunate in my choice of friends--most of 'em think that cow is something to be worshipped and protected, not butchered and grilled. Granted, if I grew up someplace where the cows wandered aimlessly in the streets and fed on garbage, I might feel the same way, and so I guess I can understand why cows aren't eaten in India, but still.

Claude came over for awhile on her way home from her UCSF interviews, and so we had tea while watching one of the episodes of 'Dinner:Impossible' that I saw yesterday--she agreed that it's pretty stellar. After she left, I ate my leftover risotto and discovered that it was still pretty good reheated the second day, so I may have to make it more often. I was surly when it was gone, until Vidya expressed interest in having it for dinner Wednesday, so I get to make and eat it again! Yay!

Felicia texted me in time to remind me that there was a Stanford game today, and I flipped to it in time to watch the last five minutes of our amazing upset of #3 UCLA--we apparently had been down by 17, but we came back to win. And yes, we did win; this was not like my last game-watching experience, where I was too sleepy and thought we lost when we really won. I also talked to my father for awhile while he was waiting in Minneapolis for his flight home; he spent a weekend in Cancun and got to see some amazing-sounding Mayan ruins, so I'm v. jealous.

Now, after having finally worked for a couple of hours to do the stuff that I absolutely had to get done this weekend, it's time for me to go to bed! I have a ton of meetings this week, so I'm already wishing for the weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as im mentioned in this post, should i also be tagged?

f...... said...

I'm glad I was able to spread the men's basketball joy last night. The second half rally was so thrilling, my roommates gave up on watching the SAG awards entirely.

Sometimes I believe our propensity to flip between channels warrants an expensive TV with Picture-in-Picture and TiVo.

Not Applicable said...

Dude, don't slam Emeril's live band - Doc Gibbs rocks. Also, what beats Barefoot Contessa? Paula's Homecooking!