Thursday, February 01, 2007

hard to concentrate

Today was go-go-go at work; I had to be there early for a global videoconference, then I had some high-pressure manager meetings (where I felt like a loser because I just started being an official manager and didn't have much to contribute), then had some other meetings, then had more meetings, then left a little after six p.m. I came home, let Claude in, and made some tasty risotto. Sri, Vidya, Adit, and Timmy showed up over the next hour or so, and we ate a lot of risotto and watched the Stanford-Gonzaga game. Yes, I paid attention, and yes, this time we lost. It was super-frustrating--they would get a lead, then blow it, then pull off some amazing three-point shots, then not be able to hit any free-throws. Anyway, we all had a smashing good time. Now, we're having a sleepover; Vidya didn't want to go back to the evil city (understandable!) and Claude has a fever and feels awful, so doesn't want to drive home. So, they shall sleep in the living room, and I shall sleep in my bed, and we shall all be quite merry (except for Claude who, as I mentioned, is sick).

Work is going to get increasingly intense; I can already feel the pace of my days getting ridiculously fast. For instance, I only checked my gossip blogs once today, so I barely know what's going on with Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, etc. Sadness! For someone who always said she didn't want to manage and vowed never to go into business, I'm taking a classic upwardly-mobile path. I will have to be careful not to get sucked further into the vortex in the future--but the likelihood that I'll escape is becoming smaller and smaller. I'm hoping that Claude will contaminate me so that I can take a sickday (she just said that she's contaminating my blanket so that she can give it back to me and kill me, just like how the white people gave the natives smallpox-infected blankets back in the day). But, it probably won't kick in in time to get out of tomorrow's meetings, so I should go to bed!

No comments: