Thursday, January 04, 2007

i'll forget your face, i swear i will

I had to go to the city tonight, which is my least favorite place ever. My friend Durand accurately summed up San Francisco as 'rain and trouble', amusing me to no end. I was supposed to meet a group of former expats at 8pm at a Korean place on Geary Street; I got there before they did, only to discover that the restaurant was closed. I called to tell them this, then walked the two blocks back to my car in the rain (since I had consciously decided not to bring my raincoat because it wasn't raining in the South Bay, I got a little wet); upon reaching my car, they called me back to tell me that they had called the restaurant and the restaurant said that they were open, so I must have been in the wrong place. So I walked back to the restaurant in the rain, where I verified that I had been right. They picked me up, we looked for parking, and then went to the closed restaurant's sister restaurant down the street, where we waited for a table for at least half an hour. So I didn't actually eat until around 9:15, I now smell like woodsmoke from the barbecue, and I didn't get anything done that I needed to get done tonight, which means that I should go in really early tomorrow to take a crack at some stuff. Ugh.

But, I did get to see Durand, which was fantastic; he's been in India since April and will probably be there for another 6-12 months, which is completely hardcore. He made me feel v. jealous and nostalgic for India--someone come over and smack me upside the head to knock some sense into me before I volunteer for another stint overseas. I have to keep telling myself that a foreign assignment will not fix all of my woes, but it's so hard to be sensible sometimes--particularly when being sensible deprives me of the opportunity to go to the Himalayas with Durand. Sigh. Oh, well, I'll survive, trapped in my posh little California world waiting for some magical, chaotic occurrence to come and rescue me.

Now I should go to bed so that I can sleep for six or so hours before dragging myself into the office. Next week will hopefully be better, but this week is hell, so wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i could have been mentioned in tonight's post had you visited me!! sad.