Monday, February 05, 2007

can't buy me love

I was in the mood for romance novels this weekend, although that did not lead me to writing my own. Last night, I reread 'The Viscount Who Loved Me' by Julia Quinn (Harvard grad who dropped out of med school to write romance novels--my heroine!); tonight, I reread 'Bath Tangle' by Georgette Heyer. 'Bath Tangle' is not about licentious goings-on in a bathtub--it takes place in Bath, England, which was once upon a time a very fashionable watering hole (so to speak) for the British aristocracy. Both of these lovely books contain my favorite stock characters--the heroes and the heroines possess strong tempers and excellent senses of humor, which leads to great dialogue and smashing verbal warfare.

Anyway, this was a completely boring weekend; I only left the house to go to Target yesterday, and to take my trash out this morning. Today, I woke up late, briefly entertained Vidya w/a cup of tea (and since she got cookies, she does not get the additional bonus of having this post labeled as being about her), daydreamed for awhile, called my parents, and watched the Super Bowl. I don't even really like football, but it was fine to have it on in the background while I played Tetris, and I liked the idea of millionaires running around hurting each other in the driving rain. Then, I read my book, with a brief break for a salmon and avocado sandwich (mmm). Now, it's almost two a.m., and I should be going to bed, particularly since I'm becoming increasingly convinced that I'm going to fully succumb to the plague that Claude and Vidya visited upon me.

Tomorrow I have to get up, throw some clothes in a backpack, and drive to Tahoe. It's my company's annual ski trip, and I'm driving myself because I could use the solitude (okay, maybe not, since I spent the whole weekend alone, but I'm indulging my inner hermit) and because I get carsick on buses. Also, by driving myself, I don't have to leave at eight a.m.--I can leave at nine or ten (or eleven) and still get up there with plenty of time to spare, particularly since I don't ski, will have nothing to do, and can't check into my hotel until four p.m. So basically I'm driving up to Tahoe to have dinner and then sleep with someone I don't know (in the platonic sense, particularly since I'm sharing a room with a girl, and even the fact that she's European and so will have a lovely accent won't induce me to become a lesbian). Maybe I'll get rousingly drunk just for the fun of it, but since I'm starting to manage people, I may have to behave with a bit more decorum than I did that time that I wrote the post about friends being the 'bombdiggitysss'. Anyway, it's time for bed! If I don't post tomorrow, please enjoy your Monday and Tuesday, and I shall catch up with you upon my return.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is really mean, swampface