Tuesday, February 27, 2007

i've changed my name to novocaine

What a weird day! First off, I got to work at 6:30am, which is about four hours earlier than I like to go in; we had switched buildings over the weekend, and since I had asked my team to come in early, I figured that I should do the right thing and go in early as well. My new office is amazing--it's a corner, which I'm sharing with Gyre, and we have floor-to-ceiling windows on two walls. It's also big enough that he's going to bring in his old papasan to put in the corner for visitors or small meetings. And, there's a perfect spot on the wall for my Bon Jovi poster, once it stops raining long enough for me to bring it into the office from my car.

The office is so perfect that, when the sun came up and the clouds briefly cleared, I saw a rainbow! Isn't that special? What wasn't so special was that I stayed at work until ten p.m., when I couldn't take it anymore since I had been there for almost sixteen hours. Actually, that's a lie; I took around an hour off in the afternoon to pick up some jeans from the tailor and to get the oil changed in my car. I was depressed after getting my oil changed because when I told the proprieter (a cute old Asian man) to have a nice day, he said, 'what?', and after I repeted myself, he said, 'I didn't understand you, most people don't tell me to have a nice day.' How sad is that?! Where have our manners gone? This guy is so nice--he was even apologizing to me for how much I had to pay because I had asked them to replace my wiper blades and because my car takes a special oil filter. How can people not occasionally wish him a nice day?

So, I went back to the office, briefly mulled over the impending downfall of humanity, and promptly lost myself in some massive spreadsheets and datasets. It was appropriately frigid in my office and I skipped dinner, so it felt like I might be in some sort of Soviet gulag, underfed and frostbitten, only I was chopping numbers rather than timber. Is that melodramatic enough for you?

When I got home, I played with my Rosetta Stone Russian software, which was fun, and now I'm going to bed. I wasn't going to blog, but I wanted to record one final mishap--I was rocking out too hard to Bon Jovi's 'Always' while getting ready for bed, and this caused me to drop a brand-new, just-opened, $9 bottle of contact lens cleaner in the toilet. Since the cap was off, there was no salvaging it, so I pulled it out with a pair of tongs and disgustedly threw it away. It was my last bottle, too, so I have to buy more tomorrow. Have I learned my lesson about playing music in the bathroom? Definitely not--although I will perhaps close the toilet lid next time. Now, it's time for bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nature Poem

But the fact
the tendril creeps around the tree
and might have been doing so for hundreds of years
is not important.

It is not important
that the forest floor is padded with pine needles
or that ferns suddenly proliferate
where sunlight reaches.

The thistles leak their foam at midday and this
is not important. In the time it takes
to write this it was sunny and now it has darkened.
Nor is rain important.

What remains then is the awkwardness
of being alive, the unshakeable awareness
of self as intrusion, and the ridiculousness
of consciousness.

Even the windhover
has no idea what tradition it's in;
death not Romeo takes
its maidenhead.

Luke Davies