Sunday, February 25, 2007

just a small-town boy born a rolling stone

Today, I woke up late, laid in bed reading the news for awhile, then had a leisurely brunch at Mike's Cafe. Their veggie casserole is truly delicious, because it's heavy on the potatoes, black beans, cheese, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and sour cream--note that only the onion is really a vegetable, which may be why I like it. Granted, I asked them to hold the spinach, which made it even less vegetably. Anyway, I hung out there and wrote in my journal, then got my car washed, then came home and cleaned my living room (mostly by throwing piles of clothes into my bedroom, so I suppose I need to clean my bedroom tomorrow night), then talked to my parents.

My last errand of the afternoon was to install my newly-procured Rosetta Stone software. I want to learn Russian, and I've been intrigued by the Rosetta Stone software since I was first working with their online ads oh-so-many years ago. I got a random offer via email for 10% off and a free microphone headset in honor of Valentine's Day (strange holiday for them to honor, but whatever), so I ordered it. I went through a couple of quick early lessons; luckily I already remembered the words for 'dog' and 'man' (funny that they go together in my mind), and I know the alphabet, so I'm probably way ahead of the curve for a beginner. Not that I'm really *that* far ahead of the curve, but already knowing the alphabet is a huge plus. I'm looking forward to it, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Claude showed up a little after five, and we made our way to San Francisco to watch the Oscars at Vidya's place. Once there, I ate a ton of chips with salsa con queso (aka nasty processed liquid cheese, and by nasty I mean delicious) and tried to hear what was going on over the ridiculous chitchat taking place in the room. Vidya drank herself silly, which was quite funny since the rest of us were somewhere on the continuum between 'dead sober' and 'tipsy' (well, except for Claude, who is currently asleep on my couch). There were no surprises in any of the awards, to the best of my knowledge, and so it was probably a good thing that they were enlivened by Vidya's antics and the appearance of Tom and Julie. Julie's quite winning and says the most ridiculous things (she asked if Clint Eastwood was 'the guy in those National Lampoon movies' [aka Chevy Chase]), so fun was had by all. Claude and I came home, and since she fell asleep I got to surreptitiously keep turning up the volume on the stereo and sing my heart out to Bon Jovi, so I was quite happy. Now, I need to go to bed--I have to be at work by ~6:15, which is in seven hours, so I should really sleep!

No comments: