Saturday, March 10, 2007

designer love and empty things

I should have gone to bed a couple of hours ago; I'm tired, and I have to get up around 7:30 to go to the city. Bleh. I left work around 6:45pm, ran an errand, talked to my parents, and went shopping. I did some major damage at Ann Taylor, then bought four pairs of shoes at Nordstrom--including a v. hot pair of shiny red high heels. I want to wear them tomorrow, but I haven't done laundry in ages and so have nothing that I can wear them with :( I will hopefully be able to do laundry on Sunday so that I can wear them next week--I'm in love!

I'm currently wishing that I was comfortable driving a stick shift; I've done it a few times, and I've never burned out a clutch or anything, but I would need some serious practice to feel proficient. However, I'm lusting after the Pontiac Solstice; it's a 2-door convertible that looks incredibly fun to drive, but all of the Pontiac dealers for miles around are only selling it in manual configurations. It makes sense, since I'm sure that sports cars are more fun to drive as manuals; I usually rest my hand on my gearshift when I'm driving, even though I have an automatic, so I bet that I would love driving a stick-shift. I could probably afford to keep my Sunfire since it's essentially paid off, gets good gas mileage, and only has 43,000 miles, and also buy a new midlife-crisis convertible.

Then again, if I were to buy a car, it would make more sense to buy a small SUV or something; my Sunfire ain't exactly a large, practical vehicle, so buying an even smaller car is probably stupid. But, I have no commitments and no plans to make any commitments in the near- to mid-future, and I adore driving, particularly with the sun on my face and the wind in my hair. You know that point in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' where Jack Sparrow is saying that his ship represents freedom? That point in the movie tugged at some deep part of my soul, and probably fueled my love for the whole mess--I feel the same way about my car, the ability to go someplace, feeling the power under your hands, hugging the curves of the road, etc. I love to speed through empty parking lots, drive up into the hills, cruise down the freeway late at night, and so a convertible would make me almost disgustingly happy.

Well, whatever, until I learn to drive a stick it's a moot point, and since I don't have any friends who drive manuals, I'm pretty much screwed. I think that I could learn it pretty easily, since I've had lessons off and on and am familiar with the concept, it's just that I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a dealership by myself and test-driving a manual-shift car. Sigh.

I'm going up to the city tomorrow, where I will spend the night w/Vidya. This means I will probably not blog again until Sunday. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

since im mentioned in this post, shouldn't i be tagged?