Monday, May 07, 2007

good, better, best

'Allo, comrades! Today was a very lovely day in Ukraine. We awoke to
greasy, radioactive mushroom omelettes, which were delish. Then, we
went out to Vova's parents' dacha (country home), where we toured
their orchard and enjoyed a light lunch of crimean red champagne and
bread with ham and pats of butter so thick that I thought they were
cheese. Yum! We also tried to communicate with Gennady's broken
English, my father's broken Russian, and a russian/English dictionary.
I was amused or bemused or something when Gennady told me that he
didn't used to like me, but he likes me now. Is that a compliment?

In the afternoon, we wandered around Bila Tserkva for awhile and saw
many of the old places we used to hang out. Then we went for a drive,
but I got carsick because my feet don't touch the ground in the van we
have, and the ride was really bumpy.

After the drive, we had a delicious dinner in the restaurant at our
complex...they offered us lard and vodka, but instead we had pork
steaks, fried potatoes with garlic, this disgusting raw fish with a
mayo and mustard sauce, some delicious fried potato-and-chicken
patties (that may not sound good, you'll have to trust me), and topped
it off with some cherry iced concoction that tasted like frozen cherry
pie filling. So if my brother and I die tonight, it's because we got
poisoned by bad ice.

Tomorrow promises to be another fun-filled day! To aunt Becky...invite
me to your island someday, I want to see it. To everyone else,
goodnight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would appreciate a memento from the Orange Revolution. Are they still serving Ukrainian Snickers?Swampuncle.

Anonymous said...

Rains at home at 1993 levels. Highways 34 and 65 at Lucas were underwater and closed Monday. 65 remains closed today. Nishnabotna high: Areas of Red Oak being evacuated. I-29 closed at Hamburg.
Maple River and Boyer River high, I-29 closed at Onawa. Wayne County wet, Decatur a disaster area along with four western counties, Marion still has flooded county roads. 20 miles of highway 71 closed due to downed powerlines. This is the same systenm that raked Kansas. Scouts at camp-o-ree stayed dry - no rain - whopee! Big ash tree by our drive way hopelessly cracked by winds, now down. Have a good time! SWAMPuncle.