Tuesday, May 08, 2007

minor celebrity

I awoke today to the roosters crowing and the sun streaming into my
face...there's nothing I can do about the roosters (unless the rifles
on the walls of the restaurant in our complex still work), but tonight
I will have to wear my facemask to bed so that I don't get woken up by
the sun at five a.m.

We had our usual ham and radioactive mushroom omelettes for breakfast,
and then we went into Bila Tserkva to meet up with Svetlana (aka
Sveta). We sat in her mother's living room drinking tea for an hour,
and then we went on a bit of a walking tour. We saw a real Orthodox
church (gorgeous...if you have never been, I recommend
wholeheartedly...the icons and paintings are amazing and
simultaneously mysterious in a way that I can't explain). Then we went
to the church that the town is named after (Bila Tserkva means white
church). This church is catholic, and like other catholic churches
they seem to survive mostly on tourism...they charge an entrance fee,
and the walls are covered in paintings which are for sale, making it
feel more like a gallery than a place of worship.

After this, we saw the statue of Yaroslav the Wise, who founded Bila
Tserkva in 1032. Then we went to the local museum, which was a riot in
ways which I shall not try to explain now. We had a delicious lunch
nearby (it's amazing how many good restaurants there are!), and then
went to the canning factory to surprise one of our old acquaintances.
He gave us a large jar of birch juice, which is now sitting sketchily
on our counter.

Tonight we had another excellent dinner, this time with Sveta, as well
as Sasha and his wife Kate. Sasha used to bring us eggs and milk and
potatoes from his village to our apartment, and it was very good to
see them.

Tomorrow is Victory Day, the holiday marking the end of World War II,
and Vova and his family are coming out here to barbecue. So, i suppose
I should go to bed. Sounds like things are wet in Iowa, but I hope
everyone else is well!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the radioactivity level on display in the square near Dom Radio and Lenin's(?) statue? Not sure if I have my landmarks right - its been awhile.

Anonymous said...

Skies in Iowa have cleared, no rain forecast through Mother's Day. This break reduces, but does not end, liklihood of another '93. Asparagus crop is bounteous. Should be a good week for mushroom hunting. For you non-Iowan readers do a search about Morel Mushrooms; you really don't know what you are missing! Swampuncle.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the four of you are having a good time. Vacation for Earl is going well, but time sure goes fast. Tell Mom I miss talking to her that Im having withdrawl (lol). Thank heavens it is only a few more days and not like the first time for all of us! I will post comment on Friday night to let you all know about appointment. Love you all safe trip home.