Saturday, August 04, 2007

i'm practicing your name so i can say it to your face

Today wasn't half bad--I made it into work for an 8:30am meeting, had breakfast afterward, and then had a bit of space to breathe and check email, which is rare for me. I had meetings most of the day, took off around 5:15, and ended up having dinner with the director who likes to do crafts and lend me supernatural romance novels - her son was visiting from Texas and she wanted me to meet him, so we had dinner at an Italian place near the Mercado movie theatre. Before you get any ideas, the son was 12 years old - but she has threatened to take an active interest in setting me up with someone, so that could be interesting. After dinner (which, while the kid was entertaining, made me supremely thankful that I don't currently have children), I came home, took a nap, and engaged in the oh-so-fun Friday night task of cleaning out my bathroom cabinets.

It will be interesting to see how much I get done this weekend; I have the constant goal of cleaning up my apartment and catching up on work, and I almost never do anything on the weekends that would help to achieve these goals. However, I'm tired of my apartment being messy, and I don't want to have another week like the week I just had - I was so behind after going to Tahoe that I never felt like I could catch up, let alone get anything done, and I don't know if I can survive another week of that right now. So, we shall see - although it's just as likely that I'll convince myself that what I really need to do is reread a romance novel or stare off into space or read about random things on Wikipedia.

Okay, my laptop is overheating and I don't want to burn my thighs, so I think it's time for bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Senator John McCain speaking in Ankeny today mentioned a recent appearance before 1200 employees of a west coast company. He cited these "kids" while listing some of the many reasons he thinks the USA will continue to be okay - even if ALL (his word) those kids at the company in California are liberals.

Two guys are sitting at opposite ends of a bar. One decides to go speak with the other. Where are you from? I'm from Ireland. Well so am I, let me buy you a drink.

Where are you from in Ireland? I'm from Dublin. Well, so am I! Let me buy you a drink.

What part of Dublin? Lifey side, how about you? Me too. Let buy you a drink.

What school did you attend? St Mary's. Me too, let me buy you a drink.

Who was your favorite teacher? Sister Mary Siobahn. Me too, let me buy you a drink. Whereupon the two Irishmen engage a loud and out of key singing session.

Another patron asks the bartender what all the commotion is about.

The bartender replies, "It's just the Casey twins getting drunk again."

Anonymous said...

TESCO coming to a town near you! OK, so it's not Hy-Vee. Will it be at all like those Tesco stores in Ireland? Will they offer canned macaroni and cheese in California? Vinegar crisps?