Wednesday, August 08, 2007

lonely but never quite alone

Shedletsky often describes working in the programming industry as 'slaving in the pixel mines'. I'm not sure what my job should be described as. Slaving in the money pit? I'm picturing raking the coins in Scrooge McDuck's money bin so that he has a nice smooth surface to dive into.

Anyway, today was fine in a moderately hellish sort of way - like maybe I was in the circle of hell where there's just a lot of wind whirling people around, rather than one of the circles involving being submerged in boiling tar. And I most definitely wasn't on the level of being encapsulated in ice and gnawed on by Satan for eternity, so that's a good thing. Actually, compared to that, I had a really good day. I had meetings, but they were boring rather than strenuous, and then I had dinner with Sarah - we started within a couple of weeks of each other at work, and like to have dinner every few months and discuss all of our grand plans for finding a bigger purpose in life (none of which seem to come to fruition). We had amazing gourmet burgers at this place called 'The Counter' in Palo Alto - if my parents ever come to visit me, perhaps I'll take them there, although the number of choices was a bit overwhelming.

After I got done with dinner, I came home, took a nap to sleep off some of the food coma, and then worked for the past four hours. I'm feeling a bit more caught up, but it's definitely bedtime - I need to get up in six hours! Tomorrow should be hectic but fun - I have to go to Santa Cruz for an offsite, so hopefully the weather is good. Goodnight!

1 comment:

f...... said...

dang. i wish you had reason to come to Boston, if not for the sole purpose of sharing with you these fantastic kobe beef sliders...