Saturday, August 18, 2007

take this heart...it's ticking like a time bomb

Last night was very fun, although I was paying the wages of my sin today. After work yesterday, I came home, took a shower, and then went up to the evil city with Claudia and her brother Marco. We had pizza at Adit's place with him and Oniel, hung out there drinking wine and watching WWE wrestling, and then decided to make our way to the karaoke place that Adit had recommended. We ran for the bus and managed to miraculously catch it, and Oniel paid ten dollars to cover all of our fares. We went approximately one and a half blocks, but at the intersection where the bus was supposed to turn, the street was blocked off by police tape because someone had been murdered on that street. Apparently the policy in those situations is for the driver to rejoice and just hang out until they open the street, rather than driving a couple of blocks out of the way to get the bus back on track, so he told all of us to get off. He couldn't give refunds either - he could only give transfer tickets eligible for that night only, which was useless to us because there was no other bus available to get us to our destination. It was also v. difficult to find taxis, but luckily John and Jess were in the general area because they were driving to the karaoke place, so they came and picked some of us up while the others managed to procure a taxi.


Karaoke was super fun, and we stayed much longer than I figured we would - we were there from around 11:15 until 2:30. We had our own room, so we didn't have to share with anyone, which was fantastic. We also brought in our own drinks, which was why I ended up feeling so miserable this morning - I had premixed kamikazes before going to the karaoke place, and they're intended to be shots, but we were drinking them more like cocktails - but you really can't have much of a drink that's 1/3 vodka, 1/3 triple sec, and 1/3 lime juice without getting pretty intoxicated. It didn't help that when we got back to the apartment, Adit opened the bottle of port that I had nostalgically purchased (in honor of the memorable port-drinking night that Adit, Claude and I once had together), and I had a glass of that. It was a big glass, too - port should be imbibed in small quantities with dessert, not in a water tumbler, particularly since it's 40-proof, which was an even worse idea on top of a stomach full of kamikaze. Adit did make grilled cheese and eggs, which had some restorative properties, but it wasn't enough. Add to the mix the fact that Adit's new apartment faces straight east and he doesn't have any window treatments, so I was awoken by the relentless rays of the sun at 8am, after sleeping around three hours.

Needless to say, I was pretty miserable and still a little bit drunk when I woke up, but since Claude, Marco, Oniel and I had all stayed over with Adit, we had a fun, leisurely morning hanging out in the apartment before venturing out to procure lunch. I came home around 1pm, took a two-hour nap, ran a couple of errands, had sushi for dinner, and then read a bunch of random articles on wikipedia. Fun times, eh?

Tomorrow I'm going to try to relax some more, or something, but I have a lot of work-related activities that I should do. It will be nice to have a day to myself though--even though I'm fairly extroverted, I have some deeply rooted desires for alone time, and they're not always being met right now. So, in an effort to meet them, I'm going to stop writing this and go to bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It could have been a bus in Ulan Bator.