Sunday, October 07, 2007

roland the headless thompson gunner

My parents know that I'm alive, which has limited the incentive to blog this weekend - but I thought that you, my small but loyal cadre of readers, might care to verify as well. The post that I wrote on Friday was mostly fictitious - I was actually sitting in the San Francisco airport, waiting to catch a flight back to my native land. My maternal grandmother's four sisters were having a reunion of sorts in my hometown, and I decided to go back and surprise everybody. My brother was in on the secret, by my parents were quite surprised when I strolled into the kitchen around noon yesterday, after arriving in Des Moines and renting a car for the seventy-mile drive south.

It was really good to see everybody; the aunts are all in their eighties, and it's unlikely that all four of them will get together again, so I'm glad I came home. It was also nice to sleep in my room and not spend any time at all sorting or throwing away remnants of my childhood. And, in other news, Minnesota is producing some drinkable wine, as evidenced by the bottle of red wine that one of my mother's cousins brought. So, all in all, it was great, although I have to get up at four a.m. to shower, say goodbye, and drive to the airport to catch my flight back to California. As soon as I get there, I have meetings all afternoon, and then I have to drive back to the evil city for dinner for Adit's birthday. Boo. So I suppose I should go to bed - I'll write again tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jhokey Jhokersen!