Saturday, December 15, 2007

too bad the devil doesn't wear uggs and a comfy irish sweater

Vidya is half-asleep on my loveseat, which is v. exciting - she showed up a little after eleven, making use of my oh-so-convenient sleeping space in the Valley. As I believe I've remarked before, the fact that I more often play host to people crashing at my place than I take advantage of others' prime locations in San Francisco is an indication of how antisocial and anticity I am. Anyway, Vidya came over, we chatted for a bit, and then we watched 'The Devil Wears Prada' (which I *still* have from Netflix, four months after I received it - I should have just bought the damn thing, or sent it back and cancelled my subscription, but I haven't felt like watching movies for quite some time due to my intense workload). 'The Devil Wears Prada' was what made me first start seriously ruing the day that I sold out to become a little corporate machine (while simultaneously making me viciously jealous of all of the fabulous clothes and shoes - difficult, since the fabulous clothes and shoes would be more easily attainable if I had a fabulous job to go with them). So, I'm glad that on the second watching, I'm actually taking steps to take a break from being a corporate whore, even if my current thinking is that I will return in six months to pick up my career where I left off.

I'm sorry for not blogging this week - it hasn't been all that bad from a work standpoint, but I haven't felt great either. I went to the doctor on Wednesday morning and discovered that I had broken a blood vessel in my right ear on the flight back from Hyderabad, which explained why I had been feeling dizzy and nauseated ever since. The good news is that it heals on its own, and I'm already feeling much better than I did several days ago. Wednesday night, I had dinner with Terry, which was nice. Thursday, I had an all-day management offsite in San Mateo; I sat in the back and made obnoxious comments to Gyre for most of the day, which was enjoyable. I also had a fun moment where, during the vice president's Q&A at the beginning of the day, someone asked him a question and he gave me thirty-second warning that he was going to have me answer it as well - I was the only person during the entire hour that he asked to stand up and give a supplementary answer, which was exciting, and also a reminder that I'm seriously struggling between my heart's desire to follow a literary path and my avaricious, status-hungry need to be high-profile and super successful. Ugh.

Last night was not good; I got home late, went promptly to bed, and then woke up at one a.m. from the jetlag and didn't get back to sleep until almost five. I made it into work by 9ish, and since my team switched floors yesterday, nothing was unpacked or set up properly, which made the morning more difficult. I stayed until around seven tonight, came home, ate a sandwich and read an Italian dessert cookbook, accidentally fell asleep, and then woke up and revived myself with some homemade hot chocolate. Then Vidya came over, and you know the rest. I hope to spend the weekend completing my recovery from my Hyderabad trip, getting through my Christmas shopping, and generally relaxing on my last weekend before the holidays. I leave for Iowa on Thursday night, and there's much to be done before then! For now, though, I should go to sleep.

No comments: