Sunday, January 06, 2008

can you read my mind?

I have jumped back into being slightly more social, probably because I am a bit less busy at work and yet want to procrastinate on my novel while I'm still gainfully employed. Thursday night, I came home and made a delicious vegetarian chili, while listening to coverage of the Iowa caucuses on tv - and then I didn't blog because I was too annoyed about my party's choice of candidates, and decided to keep my opinions to myself. Friday, I went to work and was quite productive until a little after six p.m. I was supposed to see a movie with Claude and Marco, but due to the rain and the resultant accidents, there was significant congestion and traffic southbound, and it would have taken about an hour to go eight miles to the movie theatre. So, I canceled on them, and ended up having dinner with Terry, Sean, Fred, and two people named Jamie at the tapas place that Claude and I often went to. It was quite spur of the moment, since Terry/Sean/Fred sit on my floor and asked me if I wanted to come as they were leaving, but I had a v. nice time.

Today, I woke up around ten, went to my favorite cafe and had brunch and made some notes about my book, and then went to get a facial. It felt like the acid burned more than usual, but it's worth it for fashion, right? Then, I met Claude and Marco to see 'Juno', an adorable movie about teenage pregnancy. Well, the pregnancy part wasn't so adorable, but the main teenage characters were pretty great, and I can see why the girl is up for a Golden Globe. After the movie, we went to IHOP, which was fun despite the fact that we all realized that we didn't really want to be there.

Tonight, I reread most of 'These Old Shades' and part of 'Devil's Cub', two of Georgette Heyer's rather entertaining novels. I don't know that either of them can be considered a classic romance, but they are *amazing* when it comes to witty, sarcastic dialogue. I must say that I didn't like 'These Old Shades' when I first read it - it was my first Georgette Heyer novel, and I was expecting something more similar to modern romance novels, while this had v. little romance and a lot of dialogue and scenery description, but the book has grown on me.

Now I should really go to bed - I have to get up tomorrow and go to the evil city for brunch, provided that I don't get rained out, and then come back here to hang out with Lauren (aka Subz). I hope that you are all having lovely weekends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well the frozen wilderness of Iowa is thawing (for now)...now it is to be known as the slushy wilderness of Iowa. I know you are disappointed by whom your party chose for the IA caucas but at least here in Iowa they have now stopped calling and are bothering the people of other states.

Anyway...Glad you are safe in the storms out there. Remember no driving in deep water and if you want to go skiing DON'T unless you have an avalanche tracker and use the buddy system like in Girl Scouts.

Love you! See you in a few months.