Thursday, February 21, 2008

friends...countrymen...russians!!!

Today was in some ways a shadow of yesterday. Katie and I awoke again to no heat, and I immediately called the City of Palo Alto to have someone come out and relight my pilot light. They sent someone out rather quickly, but I was dismayed by his arrival - he was wiping his shoes, and I said 'oh, it's not a big deal, I'm cleaning the carpets next week anyway'. However, that was with the expectation that, like most people, he was wiping his shoes out of courtesy - turns out they were covered in mud, so I have his footprints in my living room. But, we now have glorious heat, so I suppose it was worth it.

We lazed about all morning, and finally made it up to Peter's Cafe for a late lunch (just like yesterday - although today, we had breakfast foods rather than lunch foods). Then, we drove to the evil city and rendezvoused with Vidius Chandicus for an outing to see 'Definitely, Maybe'. It was a nice chick flick - Abigail Breslin, who also played the little girl in 'Little Miss Sunshine', is completely adorable, and I found myself strangely attracted to Ryan Reynolds. While it wasn't the best movie ever (and in fact Vidya caught my checking my CrackBerry a couple of times), I did enjoy it. It's quite lovely to see a movie in the afternoon, so perhaps when I get the urge to drive to Des Moines for Starbucks, I'll catch a movie as well.

We parted ways with Vidya after the movie, drove back down to the safety and wonder of the Peninsula, and met Sri and Adit for Mexican food at Los Gallos taqueria in Redwood City. In retrospect, this was a mistake - while my chile verde burrito was delicious, and I adore drinking Coke out of glass bottles imported from Mexico, it was a little too close to my encounter with Peter's homemade sausage patty. I didn't finish the whole burrito, but I still ended up feeling rather distressed at the end of our meal. Despite the pain, though, it was fun to hang out with Sri and Adit again, and I'm looking forward to having lunch with both of them tomorrow as well.

Finally, Katie and I came back to my place and ended up watching 'The Saint' - the Val Kilmer movie in which he plays a thieving mastermind who disguises himself and takes the names of various Catholic saints while attempting to steal the secret to cold fusion and simultaneously seduce the hot young scientist who came up with the formula. Katie and I have both realized that, while we genuinely liked the movie as younger Midwesterners, it's now clearly apparent how cheesy and ridiculous it was. Despite that, I still enjoy it every time - the Russian accents are awesome, the chief bad guy's son has gorgeous, long, flowing locks and carries a walking stick that he likes to twirl with all the panache of a gay drum major, and I always liked Val Kilmer before he destroyed his own career :(

Now, I should go to bed - I haven't been sleeping enough, particularly since I'm unemployed and so should be sitting around in my underwear all day, drinking beer and rubbing my belly. Those lovely pastimes will have to wait for another week, though, since I need to get packed up and moved before I can pursue full-time sloth. Goodnight!

No comments: