Sunday, February 24, 2008

it's surprising wise men looked to the horizon

Today was a relatively laid-back kind of day, fueled by the rain that has been lashing the coast for most of the past twenty-four hours. I went to the evil city today to have brunch with Julie - we ate at a restaurant near her apartment, and then proceeded to go to a cafe, where she worked while I pretended to work (which really just involved a lot of people-watching and contemplating about whether I can make it as a writer, which is completely foolish since I have yet to finish anything that I can publish, and so the question of whether I can *continue* writing after that is rather moot, don't you think?). It was really good to see her (and while I say that after every encounter with someone I haven't seen in awhile, that shouldn't take away from its meaning, which is genuine) - I hadn't spent much time with her since before my job got all crazy back in July, and even though I won't be around again for awhile, at least we had time together this afternoon.

I decided to leave the city around four p.m., since I didn't want to have to drive home in rain and darkness - the rain was more than enough for me. I had a burrito at Baja Fresh (likely the last one I will have before going back to ye olde Iowa), came home, contemplated packing, and instead took a nap. Then, I read most of 'Lamb' by Christopher Moore - it's written from the standpoint of Levi, also known as Biff, who was Jesus' best friend, and is an attempt to fill in the years of Jesus' life that are missing from the Gospels. Perhaps I will be in for some divine judgment for reading a rather sacrilegious book during Lent, but it is quite funny. I need to go to bed now, though, rather than finishing it like I want to, since I'm running out of days that I can waste without doing any packing. Anyone want to place bets on how many boxes I will successfully pack tomorrow?

No comments: