Wednesday, February 13, 2008

just play along

I am sitting on my couch with Adit, watching Conan. I have been trying to convince him to come and visit me in Iowa, and I think he was excited when we were watching some blue collar comedians on Leno and I mentioned that I know people like that at home. But, he's turned off by the fact that a ticket to Iowa would cost him as much as a ticket to Hawaii. I think that's pretty narrow-minded, but I guess I can see his point. Anyway, Adit's spending the night, which I think qualifies as some good family time for us.

In other news, I had a great day! I woke up late, spent some quality time painting my face like the strumpet I am (okay, I'm not a strumpet, but I have been reading romance novels), and then drove up to the evil city to hang out with Vidius Chandicus. It was absolutely gorgeous in San Francisco today, as much as it breaks my heart to say something nice about it - it was around seventy degrees, beautifully sunny, and Vidya was her usually charming, jhoking self. We had lunch at a boulangerie someplace in the city (I never keep track of where things are), where I had a great open-faced salmon and creme fraiche sandwich, followed by half of a chocolate and hazelnut croissant. Vidya and I had a lovely time, and I felt v. relaxed, sitting in the city like a lady who lunches or something.

Tonight, I came back to Palo Alto to have dinner with Tolu, Jen, Lizzie, Joann, and Jane. I had hung out with Jen/Joann/Tolu in Disneyland, but I haven't see Lizzie in awhile, and I haven't seen Jane since she embarked on a six-month around-the-world tour about a year ago. We had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, which was a good replica of our usual potlucks - weird variation, but typically delicious. It was awesome to catch up with them, as usual. I also enjoyed hearing Lizzie's impressions of India - she went there for business a couple of weeks ago, and ended up doing the same overnight train trip to Hampi that I experienced in 2005, but it sounds like she was much less enamored with the experience than I was. Granted, I loved it more than the rest of my group combined, mostly because I take a strange, malicious pleasure in watching other peoples' unhappiness with travel and accommodations. Anyway, I'm glad that we were all able to hang out, although I don't think I convinced any of them to come to Iowa either.

Finally, I came home, was playing around on Facebook, and found a game that tests your ability to locate cities and landmarks on a world map - I did pretty well, and was able to get within 20km of locating Chisinau, Moldova, which is a v. weird skill to have. Then Adit showed up, and the rest is history. Tomorrow, I have a 9:30am appointment, so I can't sleep in, which is going to be sooooo rough. Goodnight!

3 comments:

Sara said...

hey great post! keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

Turns out that love really is blind. Every romance novelist should know this.

Alan said...

And oh yeah: great post! keep it up!!!