Wednesday, March 19, 2008

burn out the day, burn out the night

I was a complete slacker today. I set my alarm for nine a.m., but shut it off after hitting snooze a few times. I did drag myself out of bed before noon, catch up on Google Reader (addiction/bane of my existence), and then have a quick sandwich with my parents. My dad and I went to finalize my new phone, which now places me back into the realm of people who are able to establish real human contact. Of course, whether talking on the phone constitutes real human contact is up for debate. But anyway, I got a phone that actually works in southern Iowa, and I spent the evening playing with it. I intend to go to Des Moines tomorrow to work on my book, buy some romance novels, and drink some espresso-based beverages, and while I'm there I'll turn on call-forwarding on my blackberry so that I can be reached with my old number. Yay.

Nothing else of particular interest happened; I watched 'Big Brother' and 'Jericho' (funny to get intrigued by a show that will likely be cancelled after next week's episode), watched Craig (of course!), and generally did nothing of real importance.

But what was perhaps the biggest time-waster of my leave of absence so far was that I read the *entire* divorce judgment between Paul McCartney and Heather Mills. You too can read all fifty-eight pages, if you want. It was quite interesting - the judge really didn't pull any punches with Heather Mills. My favorite quote from the judgment was, "If, as [Heather Mills] has done, a litigant flagrantly over-eggs the pudding and thus deprives the court of any sensible assistance, then he or she is likely to find that the court takes a robust view and drastically prunes the proposed budget."

I had no idea that phrases like 'over-eggs the pudding' were allowable in divorce judgments! I really should move to the UK. But, it sounds like Heather Mills deserves it - the woman poured her water glass on the head of Paul McCartney's divorce lawyer, which doesn't exactly make her look like an aggrieved party.

Okay, that's enough for tonight - I need to actually accomplish something of substance tomorrow, so I think it's time for bed.

No comments: