Tuesday, March 11, 2008

fix yourself a breakfast with great american eggs

I finally wrote something! Not that it's time to break out the champagne, but after dinner tonight, I actually wrote ~1000 words (the equivalent of four pages). Granted, if I maintained that pace, it would take one hundred days to write a whole book, and I would prefer to be done in 30-45, so I need to step it up. But, getting started was the hardest part, I think - although stopping to watch Craig Ferguson was v. v. easy. He was great, as usual - my favorite part of tonight's episode was when he talked about how there's no one who's prouder to be an American than he is, but he really doesn't like that 'Proud to Be and American' song - it just makes him want to lease a truck, or buy some eggs.

Anyway, I'm starting back at the beginning in an effort to fix up the seventy pages that I wrote three years ago as part of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Once I've got that done, I can do a quick continuity edit of the next 130 pages, before writing the last half of the book. I do think this can be done in a month, but I can't afford to sit around much more. Then, I can be done with a first draft by the first of May, send it out to some friends/critique people for review, and plot the second one while waiting for comments. Sounds like a plan, eh?

Here's what I did with the rest of my day:

1) I didn't get out of bed until almost noon because I am lazy. In fact, I would guess that of the seven deadly sins, sloth is the one which I most frequently commit (as evidenced by the fact that it has its own label on my blog).

2) I chatted online with Vidius Chandicus twice, which merits her a label on this post. We discussed Danielle Steel's fabulous house (chalk one up for envy), which I will never inhabit if I don't get over my sloth.

3) I had lunch with my mother - I rarely eat bologna in California, but it's one of my favorite things here. Isn't it odd that bologna and steak are my two most frequent sources of protein? Although I guess calling bologna 'protein' is perhaps stretching it.

4) I went to the library. I was going to do some writing there, but they've turned the heat way down to conserve fuel, and even though it was almost sixty degrees today, it will take awhile for the building to recover. So I checked out a few books and came home.

5) I talked to my uncle, who suggested a ridiculous penname - but not as ridiculous as what Vidya and I came up with - Fraulein Swampinathan. It would target both the German and the Indian demographics, which are huge!

6) I had dinner (chili, no steak) with my parents, and my dad brought me a bunch of pink rosebuds. He brought my mother red rosebuds. Isn't he a gentleman?

7) I actually wrote today, which makes it the best day since I've come home. Let's see if I can keep this up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ask Mom where the HOMEMADE tenderloins are? I am hoping that sometime you can come have lunch with me in the "city". The "city" is a reference to the fact that Centerville seems like a "city" compared to Allerton. Due to the fact we have our choices 10 eatting spots but 5 of those 10 spots you get your food within just minutes of ordering so I dont really consider them resturants.

As for the opposum issue on other way to killing them or hurting them bad enough to stay away is to drop kick them. But it takes some talent to do it this way. The technique requires cowboy boots and dropping it by its tail to the end of the boot while your foot is on an up swing to make contact with the falling opposum. However, since you must catch the stupid things and hold it by its tail, I think the rock method would be better.

See you soon!