Monday, March 03, 2008

for a moment i love everything that i see and think and feel...i love my broken side-view mirror

I made it home just before sunset today, after a practically nonstop drive from North Platte, Nebraska to my hometown. I stopped twice for gas, once for lunch (which I ate in the car), and once for 30 seconds to throw away the remnants of my lunch because the smell of grease and ketchup was overwhelming me. Luckily, the last few miles weren't as treacherous as I thought they would be, since the temperature dropped precipitously last night and froze the roads enough that I didn't get sucked into the mud.

Upon my arrival, my mother made a delicious supper of steak, baked potatoes, salad, and cottage cheese - she didn't make the cottage cheese, but it's from AE Dairy, which makes the best cottage cheese in the entire world. I'm quite serious about this - I've never tasted cottage cheese anywhere else that comes even close to matching AE's, and I ended up having some before supper was even ready. And yes, I've reverted to saying 'supper' instead of 'dinner' - you can expect more colloquialisms where that came from!

Anyway, it's great to be home, although I can't let myself relax too much - I need to unpack my car tomorrow and get some stuff set up, and then start writing in earnest on Wednesday. Yay! I'll write more tomorrow, but right now I think I should go to bed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

here's another midwesternism:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billadams/321845104/