Saturday, March 08, 2008

take that, modern anorexic skanks!

Ah, Craig Ferguson. I love that guy. Tonight's post title is in reference to a comment he made after showing a picture of one of the famous Raquel Welch posters from 'One Million Years B.C.'. One of the best things about being in the midwest is that Craig is on at 11:35pm, rather than 12:35am, which means that I can watch him in realtime rather than messing around with Tivo!

Today was another great day in the heartland. I went to Des Moines with my parents, where I doubtlessly looked like I was seventeen - not many twenty-six-year-olds are wandering around Des Moines on a Friday afternoon, with their parents, wearing a fuschia hoodie and sneakers. I also had to top the fuschia hoodie with my pink fur-trimmed down-filled bomber jacket, since it was about 17 degrees outside - it's waaaay too cold for March.

The main purpose of the trip, at least for me, was to buy a papasan for my room - this is the third papasan I've bought in my lifetime, and it's hard to tell whether it will be my last. The first one was in my room junior and part of senior year, until it was destroyed on a fateful Thanksgiving - after partaking of copious quantities of alcohol, four of my freshmen tried dancing in it, and it promptly collapsed. One of them stepped in a freshly baked lemon cake that was on the floor nearby, and in my hangover-induced hunger/poor judgment the next morning, I ended up eating the cake around the footprint. Yum. The second papasan survived until last year, when I gave it to Julie (who had been involved in the demise of the original papasan) - that papasan met a similar fate less than 24 hours later. However, this papasan should last for the long haul, and I anticipate many fun book-plotting sessions while relaxing in it over the next few months.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful; we had barbecue for lunch and hamburgers for dinner, so the steak count remains flat for the week. However, I did get to have Starbucks at a SuperTarget in West Des Moines, so that was exciting. Also, Katie called and is in town for the weekend, which means we're going to hang out tomorrow. I also talked to Vidya online (which I suppose means she gets a label), and exchanged text messages with Oniel during the brief time that my phone actually worked while I was in the city. And, I spent a couple of hours tonight working on my novel - still no writing, but I'm feeling much much better about the ending, so that's great. Now, though, it's time for bed!

One last thing - since San Francisco was labeled 'city of sin', I need a new label to denote Des Moines. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Cody said...

that's easy: "city of corn"