Wednesday, March 05, 2008

we expect her gone for some time...i wish her safe from harm

Tonight I was sitting at the kitchen counter, eating a steak-and-potato variant for the third straight supper (Jen C - I'll put up a counter in the next few days!), when the topic of my romance novel came up. Here's a snippet of the conversation:

Me: My characters fight all the time.
Dad: So he doesn't 'slip into her wetness'?
Me: [pause] Well, yeah, he does, but not yet.
Dad: Well they're surely not fighting then, are they?

For those of you who wondered if it would be awkward to write a romance novel in my parents' house - it's more likely that they will make me feel uncomfortable (and get a laugh out of it) than that they will feel awkward about it at all.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful - I've unpacked most of my stuff, except for my books and some clothes, but I'm waiting on shelves for the rest of it. I guess that means that tomorrow, I have no choice but to start writing, and not stop until I'm finished. Scary, eh?

I'm also realizing that I'm going to have to come up with some new labels for my blog posts, since the old ones (such as 'city of sin', 'family time', 'slogging', and 'vidya') are becoming less applicable day-to-day. Watch for new ones to roll out as I think of them, but I think that 'parental antics' is going to become a more common one in the coming months.

Finally, I'm going to post my favorite music video ever - only John will think this is worthy of posting, but the rest of you will just have to deal. Gavin Rossdale and his ridiculous, widow's-peak-accentuating haircut are gorgeous, as are the special effects of the electrical current and the smashing spheres. 'The People That We Love' may not be one of their most famous songs, but it holds a special place in my heart, and makes me sad that Bush broke up. Yes, I'm still living in the 90s. But, coming home will do that to you - and as Katie discovered, my musical taste hasn't changed all that much in the past eight years, so it's not like I can go 'back' to listening to Bush, the Goo Goo Dolls, Counting Crows, etc. - I'm already there!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really doubt that 'vidya' will become an antiquated label. Also, since you used my name, you should use the label.