Saturday, April 05, 2008

it's just a trick of the light, she says

I decided to go to Des Moines today, since I'd gone several days without writing anything. But before going, I had to dress well enough to merit my fingernails (observant readers will remember that I painted them with 'An Affair in Red Square' last night -- and scarlet fingernail polish looks absurd with a Blogger sweatshirt). So, I blow-dried my hair, wore darker lip gloss than usual, and threw on the silver metallic DKNY sweater that I got on sale for $15 (marked down from $90) last week. The sweater was more low-cut than anything I've been wearing recently, and it brought back memories from college, when Zach and the other boys occasionally tried to throw berries down my shirt whenever I was wearing something that showed off my breasts. Ah, the good old days.

Anyway, I had a late lunch at Panera, worked a bit there, decided I was freezing, and moved to the Borders cafe down the street. I wrote 3092 words today, which is twice the daily goal -- but not enough to make up for the fact that I haven't hit the goal in five days. However, I decided to stop rewriting what I had -- now that I've fixed the glaring issues in the first eighty pages of the book, I'm going to press forward into uncharted second-half territory and write the rest of thing before I start editing again. The editing process is surprisingly enjoyable, so I'm not too worried about polishing a second (or third) draft. This means that I should get back to writing brand-new stuff, because that's what I'm more afraid of, and if I don't tackle it, I will never finish.

The only other thing of interest was that I had a nice conversation with Vidius Chandicus today, and so she gets a label on the blog. Congratulations, Vidya! Now, I suppose I should go to bed so that I can get up and write tomorrow. Yay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura & Matthew J. writing in from Dallas, TX today ... we enjoyed reading your blog entry today although Matthew and I had very different reactions to some of the thoughts. Matthew "didn't really understand" why a boy would throw anything down a girl's shirt -- but he's just about to turn 13 so I'm glad he doesn't understand. I could definitely identify with your comments (thinking those were the good old days) but I'm mostly writing that because it embarrasses Matthew to think his mom was young once. It did give us an idea -- a blog written by us, expressing different perspectives on the same events -- highlighting age and gender differences!