Tuesday, April 01, 2008

let's build a fence!

Today you get the rare double post! Score!

After posting this morning, I picked Aunt Becky up, and we spent several hours shopping and touring Des Moines. In a nod to Cody, I've picked 'city of corn' for the Des Moines label -- my family was lobbying for 'dogtown' in honor of Des Moines' Drake Bulldogs (who were a fifth seed in the NCAA tournament), but since Drake lost in the first round and will likely never win another game, city of corn seems like a more apt description.

Then again, the city has really expanded beyond its agrarian roots. Aunt Becky directed me toward downtown, where we visited an Italian grocery store, a tea store, a paper store, an art/craft gallery, and a kitchen gadget store. We also went out to the new mall on the west edge of Des Moines, which is the ultimate upscale suburban mall -- all the usual suspects (including Sephora), as well as Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang's, etc. Aunt B was nice enough to buy me a new pair of sneakers (much needed -- my last pair was purchased at Hyderabad Central in 2005, and while they have been good companions to me, they are out of tread). I tried to turn her on to the magic of Sephora, but she remains in a committed relationship with Bobbi Brown. We did not see her scandalous boyfriend, but we did have a v. tasty pizza lunch (including the taco pizza, which I never see in California, but which is a midwestern staple). So, all in all, it was quite the lovely day!

However, I was exhausted after the fact, and ended up taking a half-hour nap in a Walmart parking lot on the way home. Since it's ninety miles from Des Moines to home, it's a long way to go when you just want to take a nap. But, after the nap, I was completely refreshed, and made it home in time for dinner. My dad fixed his grill, and so we had the first real grilled steak of the spring (all previous steaks have been George Foreman'd). Then we watched Big Brother, CSI Miami, the ten o'clock news, David Letterman, and I'm now watching Craig. I'm quite excited...Craig is going to be in Des Moines in April, and I bought tickets for my parents, brother and I!! I'm hoping he feels the electric current between us and rescues me from my drudgery to live with him in Hollywood, but I'm not holding my breath. Now, though, it's time for bed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taco pizza? I am intrigued.

f...... said...

I'm so happy that you'll be catching Craig's show! I hope he signs you an autograph and shakes your hand and makes some comment of it's raccoon-like resemblance (j/k).

Anonymous said...

Uncle editor sez,
tsk, tsk.

I bought tickets for my parents. brother and I. I bought tickets for "I"? How about "me"? As in: I bought tickets for my parents, brother and me. A perfessionul righter ott two bee abel too git this'n strait.