Tuesday, May 20, 2008

return to america

I am always bemused by how uncannily accurate my horoscopes seem to be on the little horoscope gadget I have installed on my Google homepage. Today's horoscope is:
The clever Gemini Sun is in your 10th House of Vocation this month and although you may be in the spotlight, it might feel awkward. You are becoming painfully aware of the personal sacrifices needed in order to keep the lights shining on your career path. Think about your limits and decide what you're willing to forgo to have financial security and professional success.

Ironically enough, I spent most of the day researching graduate programs. No firm decisions yet, but Walter would be happy to know that I don't just intend to chop off my hair and go back to work -- he told Julia, rather accurately, that in times of stress when I recognize that I need to change my life, I just cut off my hair instead. I successfully changed the hair-chopping impulse into positive action last fall when I asked for a sabbatical, which explains why my hair is longer than it has been in a v. long time, but I'm feeling the urge to chop it again. So it's in my hair's best interest if I figure out my next steps sooner rather than later.

Anyway, I made it safely back to the United States, managed to sleep almost straight through last night, and stayed awake all day today, which was critical in the war against jetlag. But I'm exhausted now, even though it's only 11:20, so I'm going to go to bed. I think I'll go to Des Moines tomorrow and work on the romance novel, but I intend to post pictures from my trip in the next couple of days! I had an absolutely awesome time, but it's good to be home, too -- my father made 'basketbobs' (steak kebabs, but grilled in a couple of large grill baskets rather than skewered, which saves time and yields the same delicious results), which were v. tasty and also significantly cheaper than the $30 dinners I was eating at Wagamama a couple of weeks ago.

Finally, happy (one day belated) birthday to Uncle Mark! I didn't blog yesterday and so missed saying it on the day of, but hopefully this belated shout-out will make up for it.

No comments: