Friday, June 20, 2008

get right to the heart of matters...it's the heart that matters more

Today would be considered completely slothful in my old corporate way of thinking; now, after four months of complete relaxation, I almost consider it to be a good day's work. Granted, all I really accomplished was a general straightening of my room, followed by crossing some minor things off of my to-do list, cleaning out my personal email inbox, and beginning to respond to the 60 or 80 messages I've failed to respond to in the recent past.

However, I also felt like today was a nice day of socializing, albeit mostly virtual. My mom and I went out for lunch, where I had the epitome of Midwestern diner food -- the deep fried cheeseball. It's hard to choose between breaded cheese and breaded mushrooms, but the cheese won out, and it was delicious. We had a nice time at lunch, and then ended up visiting the local bead studio. It's run by a v. nice woman whom I've known for a long time, and it was good to catch up. She also helped me part with some cash, since I bought a necklace and a pair of earrings made out of Venetian glass. Then, while I was cleaning my room late this afternoon, my grandmother stopped by with my great-aunt Judy, who got a tour of the new house. After supper, Terry called me, and we caught up for the first time since I left. I also chatted online with Vidius Chandicus, which was v. pleasant.

I've capped off my evening with a long online chat with Heather (aka dear respected madam), who is currently in Beijing. She's trying to convince me to go to north Africa with her and Salim when they're done in China, since our trip to South Africa was such a rousing success; I'm v. tempted, but need to wait and see what my job will be and whether I can take vacation before committing to anything. Right now, though, I should really commit to going to bed!

No comments: