Sunday, June 15, 2008

i used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies' eyes

We had an awesome thunderstorm this morning. The weather radio (vital in Iowa -- it's programmed to warn you about any weather warnings day or night) went off saying that a severe thunderstorm with 50-mile-per-hour winds, penny-sized hail, and rain would be in our area in ten minutes. That's not enough warning to bother trying to get our cars under cover, so my parents and I just stood on the front porch and watched it roll in from the west. The winds were fast and hard enough that you could hear them coming, and you could actually watch the progression of the rain towards you. When it started to rain here, we were safe under the eaves; but as soon as the wind hit, it blew all the rain in and immediately soaked the patio, so we went inside. We didn't get any hail at all, but the power flickered several times and we probably got ~0.5 inches of rain in less than half an hour.

That was all over quickly, and the sun came out for the rest of the day. But since my father couldn't do any of the landscaping that he had thought he could do today, he made himself (and us) Father's Day brunch instead -- waffles, bacon, and eggs. Yum. I spent some time in the afternoon playing Wii Fit to try to work off some of the bacon, took a bubble bath, and harassed my brother. Aunt Becky came over for supper (sans the scandalous fiance), which was another hearty Midwestern meal -- steak (three nights in a row, yay), baked potatoes, and corn. We played some Wii Sports and chatted a bit before she went down to spend the night at my grandmother's.

Now I think I'm going to go to bed -- I need to start getting up earlier so that I can prepare myself for the impending brutal return to the working world :( Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The world has enough old Brittanic bodice rippers. We need new trans-global stories about the romances of the high tech glitterati. Is it really silicon valley?